1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CLINIC SHOOTING LESSONS,PRODUCE CHAMPIONS?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1oldtimer, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Do you know of any big name shooting clinic instructors who have actually taught and produced a champion shooter? Are the lessons just a social event to get closer to the big names? Clyde

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Yes... I can... A number of kids down our way have done clinics with Bret Erickson, Dan Carlisle and Todd Graves and are now on the US Team.

TB

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

"Are the lessons just a social event to get closer to the big names?"

I never thought of that idea. I took a very worthwhile clinic from Kay Ohye where the location was 2 traps behind this fellow shooter's barn. Social Event ?? Many of the top instructors have given today's top shooters a real good start.

4. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

According to Leo, "clinics do NOT produce champions, shooters who are willing to take the information away from a clinic and put it into practice become champions from their own hard work." He doesn't take credit for student successes, but he does love to hear about them, and there have been many.

5. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Desire is an important ingredient.

I have had students that were very successful even though they had less "talent" than some students that were more talented and not nearly as successful.

6. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

Good answers Karla and Phil.

Barry

7. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

To Clyde,

Both Leo & Phil gave an excelent answer but I would like to expand just a little. You ask if classes produce champions I ask you for your defination of a champion. There are many different levels and if winning a major shoot is what you seek that is fine. But what about the person in a wheel chair, the person that has a handicap or the child that goes out and breaks their first target. My father back in the 60's broke a 100 straight from the 22yard line at a registered shoot a week before the Grand. Everyone told him you should have saved that you for next week. On the ride home he said to me those people are crazy how in the world do you save a score, you take it when they come. For that moment and on that day my father was a champion at least to me. By the way the following week he did break a 96 & 97 in the Budweiser and Grand American Handicap. All the folks mentioned above are champions. Everyone that has ever played this or any other sport has had a coach. It is not the answer to all your problems but given the time and dedication to learning your craft helps a great deal. Dean & I have had many success stories but I can tell you of the train wrecks due to the student who did not go out and break his or her first 100 straight after they took a clinic ad just went back to all their old habits. Remember there is no such thing as a majic wand it is hard work, dedication and suffering that takes you to the top. Every instructor has something good to offer. Taking one or two things from any class is the best that you can hope for but if you never put the knowledge to use it is a total waste of your and the teachers time. Sorry but I just had to voice that, enjoy the Memorial weekend and take a friend shooting when you can.

Dennis DeVault

8. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

To Dennis, A well thought out reply. I like to get feed back from other people and their experiences. My definition of Champion is a consistent winner. But those are few. The Champions for a day,are what keep us in the shooting game. This saturday I was depressed with a bad handicap score. Sunday I was uplifted when I found out I won the Sr. Veterans handicap Championship at the N W Ohio Zone Shoot the week before. (I left early and did not check the scores)You never get too old to enjoy the Champion for a day. Clyde

9. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Guys, don't forget about the money part. You need a lot of money to shoot at the top of your game.

10. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Oldtimer,

Your comments, and win brought back a fond memory for me. My oldest shooting buddy, departed this earth 2 years ago after achieving statewide notoriety in the Sr. Vet. class. He was very fond of saying that his position had much more to do with longevity than his skill.

I'm sure that yours was the latter, but thanks for invoking his memory.

Kip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.