1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clinic Advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tuscarora 99, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Hi I am looking to attend a clinic and I was wondering what does everyone think of nora ross' clinic. I have heard that she is a great teacher. Any input on this? How bout kay?

2. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

I just took a Harlan Campbell Jr. clinic this past weekend and would highly recommend him to you. I got a lot out of it. I understand Nora Ross is a one eyed shooter, if you are she might be a real good choice. I don't know where you are located, but Jim Wilson at the Buckhorn Gun Club in Mebane, NC. Is currently seeking 10 people for a Nora Ross clinic to be held there. Go to tarheeltrap.com and the info is on the home page. If you have any trouble finding it PM me and I'll put you in touch with him. J.Woolsey

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I second that Nora comment. High energy very personal. Coach like.

4. Herman63

Herman63 Member

I have taken the Nora Cinic and it was top notch and helped me alot.

Herman63

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I have taken a Nora Ross clinic( 1day) & a Harlan Cambell clinic (2 day).

I will be taking my second 1 day refresher with Harlan tomorrow. Also I plan on taking a 2 day Nora clinic again in May. Every little bit helps. I know I've got a lot to learn & every master can offer something new. I'm just a little dense & I need more pounding for reenforcement. If Phil Kiner wasn't so far away, I would take one of his clinics.

Phil Berkowitz

6. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I took a Leo clinc! Would like to take another!

Ronbo

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Here is an article I wrote for On Target Magazine last year that may be of some assistance to you in making your decision. Best of luck in whoever you decide to go with.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

FROM A SHOOTERS VIEW

By: Dan Thome

This month’s topic: DVD’s and Clinics

An often asked question that I hear at shoots is should a shooter take a shooting clinic, and if so, from whom? Another question I hear is who has the best DVD on the market? To me, both of these go hand in hand. It seems like everyone has a different idea as to who the best instructors are, and whose clinic or DVD is the best. Some swear it’s this person and others swear, no, it’s not that one, but this one. While there are no clear cut answers to these questions, there are a few steps you can take to help narrow down your choices to help you make it a good one, should you decide a clinic is right for you..

I have just about every trapshooting DVD available on the market in my library. I have also been fortunate to have taken two extremely good clinics in my trapshooting career. One was with the late Frank Little, just before he passed away, and the other, more recent one, was with Daro Handy. While both were very gifted instructors, neither one really helped me in achieving what I was searching for. Let me make one thing perfectly clear before I go any farther: Both of these shooters were very good at what they did, and, although Frank has passed away, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Daro to anyone. He really knows trapshooting, has been doing it for a long time, and is a fountain of knowledge and willing to share it in his clinics. So, why didn’t I get more out of them than I did, and what would I do look for now if doing it again? Neither one was a good match for MY ability to learn, nor for MY shooting style. Let me explain.

Every instructor that offers a clinic has their own “style” of shooting. They each promote different gun holds, where to look for the target, foot positions, points of impact, etc. Some use cameras to film you. Some spend more “personal” time with you than others Each one has a distinct teaching technique, and they vary from one extreme to another. Some of their personalities are very easy going, and laid back, while others are no-nonsense, with a “do it this way, and this way only” attitude. What works with one instructor doesn’t always work with another. Trying to choose the right one for you is difficult, at best. The key is to choose the one that teaches a style of shooting that you are comfortable with and that closely matches your own. You also want an instructor that you can easily relate to and have no trouble understanding when they try to teach you something. So, how do you find such an instructor? Well, you’re in luck. The instructors themselves will provide you with the answer. DVD’s are the tool you need.

If you are seriously considering a certain instructor, spend the money and invest in their latest DVD. Almost all the top instructors have a DVD, or two, on the market. Take the time to watch it carefully and it will help you to determine if their style closely matches your own. You will also be able to see if that instructor offers a teaching method that you can easily understand. If that instructor doesn’t fit your style, sell the DVD and purchase another one. It is far better to spend $60.00 or so for a DVD, watch it, and if it doesn’t appeal to you, sell it for $45.00. This way, it should only cost you about $15.00 or so to determine if that instructor’s methods will work for you. It is far more economical to do it this way than it is to spend $350.00 to $400.00 for a weekend of instruction, only to be disappointed in the results After you have viewed several different DVD’s, you will begin to get a pretty good feeling for which of these instructors is the best fit for you. You can then make a pretty good, educated, decision in making your choice.

The last consideration is where the instructor is located. Once you have made your choice, it will be a matter of contacting him/her and finding out where the next clinic closest to you is being held. You may have to travel some distance to get the instruction you really want, and only you can decide if it’s worth that expense. Here in the Pacific Northwest, we are very fortunate to have some great instructors available. Daro Handy has several clinics each year in our area. Kaye Ohye offers one in Medford, Oregon, in August, and, from what I’ve been told, Leo Harrison III will be offering a clinic at the Spokane, Washington gun club in September. These are but a few of the really great instructors available. You have quite a few, really talented, instructors to choose from. For more clinics, dates, and locations, visit each one of their websites, or check out Trap and Field Magazine. If a clinic is in your trapshooting future, make the very best of it by finding out, before hand, if the instructor you choose is the right one for you…….Dan

8. Golani

Golani TS Member

I've taken clinics from Kay Ohye, Leo Harrison, Phil Kiner and Nora Ross. In my opinion Nora's clinic is the best. She is a real professional. She comes to class completely organized and with a minute by minute plan for the day. She is a human dynamo and her energy and enthusiasm are contagious. I would recommend her clinic to anyone. I take one clinic from her each year. I'd like to take two: one at the beginning of the season to debug my setup and one at the end to lock in any improvement I've made.

9. arend003

arend003 Member

Not sure were you are located but Nora Ross is giving a clinic at the Osceola Rod and Gun Club in april my wife and I are taking the one day .. you can google their web site for more info or pm me and I can get it to you .
    Tom