1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CLENZOIL ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dog easy, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

The local trap shooting experts are saying that Clenzoil is the be all to end all of shotgun cleaning stuff. If you have any experience with Clenzoil I would love to hear your thoughts and observations.

Would you have any problem with soaking your choke tubes in Clenzoil?

Shoot safe, John

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Alleged to not cause perseveration.

3. Rich Bullard Jr.

Rich Bullard Jr. Active Member

Hopefully it could cure a flinch on a keyboard! Just kidding. Yes it is good stuff and yes it would be fine to soak your chokes although I think there are better products to clean your chokes.

4. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

I've been lightly coating my guns with it before putting them away for the last 25 years or so. Not a spot of rust anywhere. Haven't used it on choke tubes but I wouldn't "soak" anything in any product for very long if I could avoid it.

5. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

"Hopefully it could cure a flinch on a keyboard."

Sorry, we have been shooting the MP-5 this afternoon.

Shoot safe, John

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have used it for years as a cleaner and rust preventative on my guns and other metal around the house such as rusted locks, cabinet hinges, door locks and such ... I also use it on leather like my shooting bag, luggage, some shoes, the leather interior of a car that I had and it works like magic ... I use it on the rail for the garage door opener and it lubricates that better and lasts longer than WD-40 ... I find that I reach for Clenzoil more than the LPS, WD-40, Bust rust, or any of the other lubricants I have ... You can also use it on the wood of your guns and it will not harm it in anyway ... "Great stuff" ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

I am with WPT. Have been using it for years and is the best that I have found.
    I buy it by the case and have given many bottles to fellow shooters and hunters and they loved it and converted to Clenzoil. Once you use it, you will never go back. Excellent for cleaning, preserving, will not harm wood and no fowl odor.

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I'd only believe that kind of hype from somebody who can prove that they've already tried everything else there is to try.

I've tested the 2 of them and Ed's Red works better. It removed stuff from a barrel that was already as clean a Cleanoil could get it. There may be better than Ed's but I know IT'S better than Cleanoil.

MK

9. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

It is great stuff, not the best for deep clean (I use Kroil for this). It is wonderful for final coat before going into the safe. It won't hurt wood or my Browning Double Auto anodized metal finish. I guess the best endorsement that I can give is to say that I bought a gallon jug of it. The smell is wonderful and won't make your wife mad like other products.
    Doug

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

That's the second time I've read that "Clensoil won't hurt wood". I'm missing something. Maybe it won't hurt a wood finish but I doubt it's what the wood itself wants or needs.

It's not a wood finishing product. It's not a drying or polymerizing oil; it stays "oily". That means that it will eventually turn a stock into the same kind of oil soaked sponge that so many old M-1s and M-14s have become because their owners kept the actions "well oiled". Get the stuff into the end grain or into the unfinished insides of a stock and see how harmless it is.

MK

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

I also like and use Clenzoil. But Ive always wondered about useing it on wood. Would like to learn more about that use..

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

A number of years ago I was at a Sporting Goods show for Ellett Brothers in Chaping SC and the owner of Clenzoil was there with a display. They had some nails that had been soaked in salt water for a couple of weeks. The booth had a pint jar full of Clenzoil with a hole in the lid and one of the nails was placed in the hole. You could actually see the rust falling of the nail and in a short time if was shiny again. I've been using it ever since. I've used it on all kinds of wood as well as metals and it really works well to preserve metals. Jackie B.

13. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

14. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

The WORST stuff there is for off-label use happens to be WD-40. Over continues use, it leaves a varnish that is near-impossible to get off.

I prefer Ballistol over Clenzoil, but the smell is not much fun.

All of my stocks are sealed, and I treat all the metal once-a-year with duck oil, so I'm not concerned, much, anyhow with 'cleaning' anything, but you can use Ballistoil on anything, including raw wood and hides without any chemical decomposition.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

where can i buy clenzoil