1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clenzoil and Simple Green ?????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by flinter58, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flinter58

flinter58 TS Member

I recently obtained some Clenzoil for the first time and am trying it for the first time. For a long time I have used Simple Green to clean (clean -not lube) my Black Powder Cartridge Rifle’s barrels, muzzle loaders (black powder) barrels and the brass for my BPC Rifles……3 or 4 passes through the bore with a wet mop of Simple Green will take out black powder better than anything I have used.. Now – I notice that the Clenzoil is greenish in color and has a similar smell as Simple Green. What is the relationship? Is Clenzoil a mixture of Simple Green (or similar wetting agent) and some sort of lubricant? I have knowledge of surfactants used in agricultural applications as wetting agents and have experimented very successfully with them as gun cleaners as well (cleaners – not lubricants). Does anyone know what Clenzoil is or what teh connection may be?
    Also - if you are cleaning reclaimed shot - Simple Green is a great shot cleaner and easy to get off.

2. C H S

C H S TS Member

I seriously doubt that the 2 are related. Clenzoil has been around since WW II and even old Ed's Red is a better cleaner (and most newer products are better yet) and there are many things that are better for preventing rust than Clenzoil. Simple Green in a fairly new product and was developed to clean coffee making equipment and must be mixed with cold water to work; had nothing to do with firearms.

Andy

3. cyborg

cyborg TS Member

I am a chemical engineer (retired) and a long time trapshooter. This year at the "Grand" I never once saw any of the top shooters or premium shotgun manufacturers present, even consider using Simple Green or some garage concoction like Ed's Red. However, I did see a slew of big names and shotgun companies using Clenzoil. I've used it for years and have yet to find something that will perform like it AND NOT HARM STOCKS OR GUN BLUING. Of course, you guys might no more than me on this subject...but I think I'll use what people like Chris Batha, Bill Hanus, Bob Hartman, Diane Pennington (Precision Gold Triggers) the 5th Special Forces Group, etc., use on their firearms. Remember the old Alka Seltzer commercial, "...Try it...You'll like it!" You young wiper snappers may not remember that commercial. Anyway, heard a guy at the "Grand" ask one of the shooters using Clenzoil if he thought anything had come along better since the 50's? The guy (a factory shooter) says right in front of me (and I quote) "...Naw, hell I still cook my steaks over an open fire though!" That said it all for me. Jeff

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I'm not sure whats in Clenzoil, but I know it works and does whats it is supposed to do unlike many other products that are advertised ... I use it and like it a lot ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

simple green was good till they come out with the NEW stuff it has ammonia in it now a little harder on hands and nose alot of the gun smiths use it to clean i liked the old one but dont care much about the NEW rick

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Why dont you bring samples to local exstension service, get them to test it?

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gas chromatography is typically well beyond the capacity of a local extension service.

Clenzoil appears to be a mixture of light oil and a solvent very similar to paint thinner. Simple Green is an oil based product that contains a surfactant that allows water to become miscible in the liquid. Water is important in cleaning black powder firearms. It is not a good solvent for trap guns shooting nitrocellulose powders and plastic wads.

Pat Ireland

8. m70win

m70win Member

Pat if you keep using such fancy words I'm going to quit opening your posts.

Tim

9. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

Does Clenzoul smell anything like Simple Green? I have been using Hoppe's #9 since forever, but my wife complains about the smell. Is there anything that is effective but doesn't smell as bad as Hoppe's #9?

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Tim- I do now promise to not use any esoteric words in my posts.

Pat Ireland

11. flylta

flylta TS Member

Pat,

You can use those big words, it helps when I do the crossword but could you start posting the definition along with them so we can learn up good like you?

hehe

Ron

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

M pro 7 has little oder

13. Robb

Robb Member

I've told the wife that a couple of drops of Hoppes behind each ear could do wonders but hasn't happened yet. Love the smell of Hoppes.

14. brantman

brantman TS Member

what is it with wives and hoppes nimber 9 I always manage tu clean my guns and she does the wash. hoppes does more for me than some things ,thats for sure

15. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Ballistal is the #1 thing to use when cleaning Black powder firearms. Cut it with water for Black powder, used straight for smokeless. Great for stock wood, and great for cuts on you hands.

it is not harmful to your body.

Germans used to give it to their soldiers in WWII for cleaning their guns and for antiseptic for wounds.

Try it and you will be hooked!!

Also is the #1 product for rust inhibitor for the barrel, receiver, etc...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clenzoil smell

does clenzoil work