1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clearing the trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by topgun, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topgun

topgun TS Member

Need some opinions. Shooting caps in a large shoot I called for the bird and the Pat Trap threw a double as they occasionally do. I did not fire of course and dismounted the gun. I then remounted the gun and as I was about to call for the bird the scorer released it. I again did not fire and dismounted the gun and wondered what the hell happened and why he did that. Then I mounted again and called and missed. My fault for missing but the whole thing ticked me off. After the round was over I asked the scorer if he fired the bird. He said he did. I said I thought it was the shooter's job to control the release of the bird. He replied that management told him it was his job to always clear the trap after a broken or illegal target. Maybe this was just a matter of timing and if he cleared the trap before I mounted there would have been no problem. Any thoughts?

2. TC

TC TS Member

I have always waited for the puller to clear the trap after a broken or illegal target. Not all pullers will do this on their own.

3. RAScott

RAScott Member

usually if another bird comes out broken, then the scorer clears the house. But the trap that you are talking about was throwing intermitent one earlier in the day. Nice to see you and shoot with you. Enjoy the sun my friend.
    Bob

4. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

gotta be like a duck, and let it roll off, the puller's timing was bad, but should have had little bearing on your called bird. sometimes it doesn't take much to throw us off and worse yet sometimes it is a little monkey on our back whispering bad things,wanting us to have an excuse to miss. Stop, focus positive, then break your called bird. You'll do better next time, by remembering it is part of the game and your learning to handle the unexpected when least expected makes you a better shooter.

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I agree with twinbirds, $hit happens, don't let it distract you.

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Bobby, If you're where I think you are, you'd better stay there. Bad one coming on top of what's here. Get me back to AZ!

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

You could have cleared it yourself. That would help you reset and be ready to go.

8. powderburn

powderburn Member

Don't let the little things get to you. Just break down the gun, take a nice easy breath, remount, call for your bird, and stick you barrel in its ass and pull the trigger. I'm always a little more deliberate in my swing and focus after a little issue like that.
    -powderburn

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The puller or score keeper should of said something to let you that he or she was going to clear the trap, or you should of cleared the trap and nothing out of the ordinary would of happened ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.