1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clear Winchester AA Hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I found these some time ago in my dads old reloading stuff. In the pic they appear gray but trust me they are clear hulls. They have been reloaded a few times and are dirty inside making the hull cloudy. They have the head stamped W-W 12ga AA. There is no printingb left on the sides of the hulls. I have old gray and even silver AA's but never remember these. Anybody know what these were?? Thanks Matt
    grntitan_2009_250377.jpg

2. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

These may be from "The Old Days" when some ammo companies sold new empty hulls for reloading. Larry Evans

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

They can't be real old with W-W stamped on the head. Real old would have either a "Winchester" or "Western" stamp.

Could these just be well-used and faded Super-Handicaps?

4. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

One Grand back in Vandalia Winchester had a promotion going where if you got a clear, actually translucent, shell in your ammo, you could turn it in to get a Winchester Tee Shirt. I got one of those shells but I decided to keep it since it was much more rare than a Winchester Tee Shirt. I will have to see if I can still find it.

5. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Is it a one piece compression -formed hull or a two-piece hull with a separate basewad?

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

It is as pyrdex states.

7. grntitan

They are the old 1 piece hulls. It is at least 25 years old if not closer to 35 years old. I'm almost positive it isn't a hull with the color worn off from load'n and shoot'n. Its only been loaded maybe twice my guess compared to other old AA hulls i've loaded. I also don't think it is a screw up box as there are more than 50 of them but these were the best examples. The majority of them have sucomed to bad storage practice and age. Thanks for all the suggestions and guess'. I figured someone here would know about them as i haven't found a shooting issue yet that couldn't be solved here.---Matt

8. Rick (Pa)

Rick (Pa) TS Member

pydrx has it right. I have 2 or 3 of them unfired. I saved them instead of shooting them.

Rick

9. grntitan

I don't disagree, just thought it odd that he would've had so many. My dad has passed on so not easy to ask him about them. Wonder if at some point they boxed and sold the leftover clear shells?--Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.