1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clear Shooting Vision

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

Shooting glasses have a curved lens. Looking through the optical center of these lenses is the only area that will give us clear vision. If we look through other areas of the lens, we induce lens astigmatism. When we get new glasses, they are adjusted so that we are looking directly through the optical center, but as time passes, the glasses get out of adjustment and we may not be looking directly through the optical center. I have begun to wonder if it is important to have our glasses properly adjusted a couple of times each year.

Pat Ireland

2. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Pat,

I think I am experiencing that exact problem. I have a very weak prescription, and cannot shoot with the prescription lenses in my glasses. My shooting is done with non-presc. colored lenses, one pair of which I bought from you.

My eye doc has checked everything out, and says the prescription is ok, and the distances are ok. He then gave me some one time use contacts. I tried those, with my non-presc. lenses, but not long enough for a good test.

According to the doc, that eliminates the problems you've described, about looking through the optical center of the lense.

You might want to give that a try.

Danny

3. RAScott

RAScott Member

Danny I have the same problem as you, a weak presciption. I bought a pair of the ranger frames and I couldn't use it. I took them to an eye doctor and told him what I was using them for. He said that curved lenses would not work for me. so I went back to the hy-winnd frame and much better. Scores went up.

Bob Scott

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I know many don't agree, but I really like shooting with my distance contacts. They move with my eyeball so distortion is never a problem.

I use plano Decot glasses with them. I suppose the curvature of the plano lenses could cause some distortion, but not to the same extent prescription lenses do.

I am pretty severely nearsighted, with astigmatism in my off (left) shooting eye.

The problem with wearing distance contacts during a shoot is that I can't see to read, or see close-up detail. To overcome this, I carry a set of 1X WalMart reading specs.

I carry an extra pair of prescription lenses just in case, and an extra set of contacts.

Guy Babin

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Call Rob Decot and talk to him about the new Revel frame and smaller lenses. Since many of us look through the inside part of the lens when mounting a gun this problem exists in many. Moving the optic centers in a smaller set of lenses can reduce this problem significantly-as it did for me!!

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Guy- You seem to have an excellent system.

Pat Ireland

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

Your statement, " that looking through the center of these lenses is the only place that will give clear vision " is wrong. Looking through the optical center of the lense will give you 100% of the perscription is correct. You can still have clear vision when not looking through the optical center of the lense. HMB

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Pat, over the last 30 years I have experimented quite a bit and have some conclusions about this. For starters I cannot wear contacts, wish I could. I am near sighted with astigmatism. Many years ago Bud Decot made my lenses and offset the optical centers 3 mm to the left for a right handed shooter. One time I ordered new lenses with the optical centers offset 6 mm to the left and that did not work at all, way too much distortion. Della McClure from Decot advised me to bend the nose wires on my Decot frames a little bit so that the frames are off center and shifted to the left to accomodate my Neanderthal face with deep set eye sockets, prominent forehead and bridge on my nose. I find this combination of 3 mm offset of the optical centers and bent frames to work well for me. I haven't yet found a way to reduce the floaters. If it wasn't for the floaters in my right eye, I would wear the Magic Dot on my left lens.

9. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Mike,

Why is it that you can't wear contacts specifically? Are there optical reasons, or is it a comfort issue? How long ago was the lasst time you tried a pair?

Guy B.

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I have been shooting with the NYX glasses with a prescription insert for about 5 years. The insert is so small and close to my eye that the optical center doesn't change at all, no matter how I mount the gun. It's almost a compromise between contacts and regular shooting glasses.
    It's something to consider. They are semi- wrap around, and do not have to set high on your face. Very light and comfortable, and despite looking through two sets of lenses, there are few problems with reflection or light transmission.

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Guy, many years ago I tried gas permeable hard contacts and never could adapt to them even after 3 very stubborn years of trying. A couple of years ago, my Opthamologist suggested that I try them again but when I went to the contact lens expert after examining my eyes he said that the astigmatism could not be corrected even with his latest contact lenses.

12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

(typos fixed)

Understood. I use a Toric lens for my left eye with the astigmatism. Torics are biased in weight toward the bottom to keep them positioned properly.

My right shooting side eye is a normal, distance only lens (I have no astigmatism on that side.)

Your level of astigmatism may preclude their effectiveness, I realize.

Is your astigmatism in your shooting side eye? If it were only in your off side eye you might could try a lens only in your shooting side eye.

If what you have works however, it's probably best left alone.

All the best,

Guy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.