1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning Wood stock?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WNCRob, Jun 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

For wooden stocks with an oli finish, what is a good cleaner for body oils, etc. that accumulate, especially on the comb?

Thanks for your suggestions!

WNCRob

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I ounce found a product at a CVS phrmacy/store called "Good for Wood"...couldn't find it again, but must be around. Very good for cleaning out the grunge in checkering where there was no finish. I would suggest that you check with a furniture restoration shop...or...some of the cleaners used for teak furniture have also served me well. Calling IKEA??

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Murphy's Oil Soap.

Period.

Occasionally put a drop or two of oil on your palms and work the stock until it is all absorbed. It just gets richer and deeper.

Bob

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I agree with Bob.

Pat Ireland

5. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give some of these products a try. I've used teak cleaner for cleaning teak, and its harsh and really attacks any soft wood. Plus it bleaches. I don't think I'd use it on my gun stock.

WNCRob

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I've been playing with old guns all my life, and I've not run into very many products that matched the hype, but John Kramer's stuff is a noteworthy exception.

http://www.kramerize.com/Introduction.htm

As far as working with oil- and wax-finished stocks (many of them 19century), a good scrubbing with a half-cup/gallon of water of MOS is all the 'pre-care' they get, then I start working with Kramerize.

I glob it on with a cotton ball, and let the stock toast in the sun an hour or two, then wipe the excess and hand-rub it for a few min. Rinse/Repeat a couple of times & done.

Sometimes, I'll buff a light coat of Carnuba wax on the stock, but I've about quit doing that as too much work.

My waterfowl guns take a pretty good beating, including salt-water, but having and keeping a 1st class, deep, glowing oil finish is no effort. After the season, I'll clean them with MOS and work a warm drop or two of Kramer's into the wood in front of the fireplace while the dog and I are lying to each other.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.