1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning the field

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Browning Girl, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browning Girl

Browning Girl TS Member

SO I have a question for you all. I want to know what other gun clubs use to clean all the clay pigeons off the field? We are using a lawn sweeper that is for normal lawn use and it is not holding up but works well. We can get only one pass then we have to empty it and it is so heavy that it is about to pop it's wheels off.

We want to know if there are any better ideas out there to take care of this?

Thanks
    Mel

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I've never seen a club clean them up. The places i shoot just leave them lay.

3. twotimer

twotimer Member

Mel, you are likely the first person that has ever needed to clean clays off the field. If you aren't shooting indoors, I can't imagine why you would want to clean them up. As you become a better shot, you will smoke them and there will be nothing to clean up! Mike

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Do many gun clubs pick up their broken targets. I've never seen it done.

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

We use a tractor and a drag blade to drag the broken targets off over the bank at the side of the fields. It gets rid of the orange background .We don't try to haul them off somewhere else. Mark

6. Browning Girl

Browning Girl TS Member

At our club we shoot trap, pistol, and riffle. They use the field for more then trap and the other people complain about them being out in the field from time to time. Plus they rip up the mower blades. We don't use the biodegradable clays. And with them cleaned up, it make the property look so much better.

I have seen pile of them at different clubs off to the side as if they were cleaned off the field and dumped. But they might have just used the lawn mower.

7. Browning Girl

Browning Girl TS Member

We like to used the broken clays to back fill the berms as well.

Well, Thanks all of you for answering me. If anyone thinks of anything else let me know.

Mel

8. butcher

butcher Member

You might try running a heavy roller or something elst to break them into fine pieces.

9. Eric XT

Eric XT TS Member

Use a skid steer loader if you don't have one you can rent one for $250 - $300 per day but it will be hard to rent one this time on the year

10. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

The skid loader with the front broom attachment is the answer, however, I have gone to government or school/college surplus sales, and have seen walk-behind sweepers at auction.

Just a couple more thoughts.

Danny

11. Barry C. Roach

Raise the deck on your mower and the blades wont take such a beating. Let that grass grow a bit higher and you wont see many targets on the ground any more.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Sounds like a small tractor with a bucket might be what you are after. Back drag with the bucket and scoop up the piles. These pieces of equipment are pretty spendy when you buy new but if you are in an agricultural area you can generally find a decent small used tractor with a bucket under $2K. Got any farmers as club members?

And no we don't pick the broken targets up at my club.

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

so it's not a dedicated trap field...

you might consider what some golf clubs outside Chicago do and lay out huge tarps to catch the broken fragments... now for the GCs that shoot in winter... not much of a problem, but for warm weather year around clubs, it will impact the grass unless you remove the tarps after each shooting day.

You obviously can't expect to get every fragment, but if you were to get numbers from a few clubs on the average range of distances for their target piles... you could have a good approximation...

Jay

14. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Every spring our club use a compact tractor with a york rake. Drag the feild into a wind row and pick up with a loader tractor. 4-5 guys takes 1 1/2 hrs to clean up 3 fields. Very little hand work and looks good.

15. Barry C. Roach

As long as you leave the grass cut at about 8 inches the targets will take care of themselves.

16. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Front end loader.. scoop them up and haul them away by the dump truck load. I have seen this done at many clubs.

17. Barry C. Roach

Being mostly made from pitch and lime wouldn't road builders, who recycle old blacktop, mix them into new blacktop?

18. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you use bio targets you won't have to mow the grass anymore, there won't be any.

19. Browning Girl

Browning Girl TS Member

Thanks all. Great Ideas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

using a lawn mower to clean uo clay pigeons

will lawn sweeper pick up brocken clays