1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning Stainless Steel Revolver?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chessney, May 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chessney

chessney TS Member

I just bought a spanking brand new Ruger GP 100 357 stainless steel revolver. Before I shoot the thing, I was wondering if there are special cleaning tips you guy's use to keep these things looking new?...Ziggy

2. bill2

bill2 Member

They need oiled or a preserative on the exterior. Stainless is not really stainless in my experences. R/Bill

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

About the only thing that will keep it looking like new is sandpaper.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You should worry about the inside of the gun. Most revolvers I have come across are dry as a bone on the inside. Get some oil inside the gun and it will last a long time. HMB

5. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I use a metal cleaner/polisher for the cylinder carbon/stains that happen. I happen to have Blue Magic Metal Polish right now, but I've used others and all seem to work pretty well. Used the stuff on S&W's for years, never tried it on a Ruger, but wouldn't see why it would be any different.

I always use the stuff on my high carbon knife blades that seem to "stain" more so than other blades.

Rub the stuff on, let it set, it will start blue, or white, etc, but then will turn blackish maybe a dark grey within 5 minutes give or take. Wipe off with a clean rag and repeat until shiny new.

I've cleaned other people's revolvers where the cylinders was badly scared with the shooting rings and still had no problem cleaning them right up. Those kinds of guns just take some extra time and patience.

Also I agree with keeping the inside well lubed. I use Shooter's Choice grease, but as you read, some people prefer oil, regardless, dry is bad.

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

If it is not magnetic, it's usually pretty good SS.

7. bambambam

bambambam Member

I have always used Flitz polish and have had good luck. A little tube lasts a long time.

8. chessney

chessney TS Member

The guy at the shop sold me a stainless steel brush. He said it is a must for cleaning the gun...Ziggy

9. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Sorry to have to say this but NEVER use a stainless brush in any gun

They have hard sharp ends that scratch the softer bores.

Trust me here. There are lots of snake oil sales men out there and many personal theories and practices on cleaning that dont help or hurt but you dont need that kind of help

Second on the Flitz for SS but clean it all aff with solvent when done and then oil. Another property os SS is gauling hence the critical lubrication needs. Moly grease is good but you want the kind without graphite. not sure why but that comes from Hammerli.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Stainless steel is not rust proof. It is rust resistant. Act accordingly.<br>
    <br>
    Never use a stainless steel bristle bore brush. Use phospher bronze or plastic.<br>
    <br>
    0000 steel wool is your friend for cleaning the face of the cylinder. Dip it in Hoppes.<br>
    <br>
    Some metal polishes have fine particles that will discolor metal. Chrome polish in particular. Others have chemicals that chemically attack tarnish, and can stain some metals, even stainless. Be careful what you use, and test it in an area that can't be readily seen, like under the grips.>br>
    <br>
    Back in the early days of stainless steel guns, the proper lube had molydbenum dysulfide in it. Especially on autos with stainless steel slide. Stainless on stainless often galled. The long term solution was to make the frame and slide (or other parts) from slightly different stainless alloys. That solved the problem. Owners of early S&W stainless guns often replaced the stainless internal parts plus triggers and hammers with their carbon steel counterparts. Some police armorers did this routinely. As stainless alloys improved, this all became a moot point.

11. BrooklynPrep69

BrooklynPrep69 TS Member

Mothers metal polish for wheels does a great job.............Steve

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I like Flitz or Simichrome polish

13. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Flitz or Blue Away. I use Blue Away on my stainless colt and stainless S & W. It keeps them shiny and leaves no marks.

Buz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cleaning stainless steel revolvers