1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cleaning shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bulgie, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

Have bought some reclaimed shot which has dust. Need a way to get rid of the dust. Any thoughts.
    Thanks
    Tom

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

You can tumble it and then wash and dry it. You would then need to tumble it with a little graphite so it will feed well through your press. Careful, since the dust most likely will contain enough lead to cause health issues.

3. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

4. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Make sure you put the shot in a bucket and pull a magnet through it a bunch of times. As you are doing this check for stones and other crap.

Another tip I heard, but have yet to try, is to load a 1oz shot load in a 1-1/8 wad. It pretty much guarantees the barrel is protected from the shot the whole way down the barrel.

I think you will like it, its cheap, and it breaks targets at 16 as good as anything. 'caps may be a different story but I never did any real testing.

Good Luck

5. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you have a shop vac. put the hose on the exhaust end. Poar sit thru a fairly large funnel into a pan and let the air carry the dust away. I do that when I have a sufficient amount of powder and shot spills collected.

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Does dull gray oxodized reclaimed shot become shiny after tumbling or does it stay dull gray?

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Wash it, dry it, and tumble it with about 1/2 teaspoon of graphite per 50 lbs.

It gets shiny. Too much graphite gives it a full finish.

HM

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It should become a bit shiny, unless it's badly oxidized. You can get the graphite powder at any John Deere store. The last can I bought was a little over $5 and looks to be almost a pint of it.

Be careful about blowing the dust around. It might not be a good thing for living creatures to have exposure to. Use proper precautions and clean up well after working with it.

9. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Anybody know of any mining within 200 miles of Omaha? I may want to by 2 55 gal drums of lead. Omaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.