1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cleaning shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Willus, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willus

Willus TS Member

What is the best method, or product to clean shot shell hulls before reloading them. I have some once fired hulls that were collected from damp grass. This has left them with some dirt spots.I would like to clean them to prevent the dust from getting into the reloader.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Tumble them in walnut shell media for about 6 hours.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Put them in a mesh bag with a couple of bounce strip and tumble them in the clothes dryer for about 20 minutes on low heat. Add a couple of old clean towels to the dryer if the wife goes ballistic about all the racket. If you suspect there is moisture in the hulls, you might want to deprime them first to make sure they come out bone dry.

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

You two are a couple of Trolls....jeeze.

OK Willus, soak the hulls in a 5 gallon bucket of Breakfree CLP for 24 hours and then dry them each out with a Q-tip.

Tron

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

No, the q-tip leaves little lint strings.

If you're going to use Breakfree, you need to hang them out in the back yard on the clothesline for about a week.

Buy lots of clothespins.

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

Lit and Tim, this is how I learned to clean hulls after reading "Hull Cleaning Secrets". I later bought the Hull Cleaning Bible which covered this subject complete with photographs and a bit more detail.

Go with the Breakfree and Q-tips there Willus, those guys will steer you wrong every time....they probably don't even own a hull cleaning book.

Tron

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Jeez guys, give the man a break.

Just put them in the dishwasher. That is why they have so many of those little prongs. Just stick one shell onto each prong and presto, clean hulls.

And if you use the dryer option, they will be ready to reload when the dishwasher is done.

No mess, no fuss, and more important, it leaves all of the printing right on the shell.

Hauxfan!

8. docjonsn

docjonsn TS Member

I had about 1000 410 AA hulls in a bucket that my plumber used as a cutting oil catch bucket. well I was upset to say the least but I put the hulls in a in an onion bag and ran them in the washing machine then hung them in the line to dry worked fine
    Pete

9. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

ooh ooh ooh mistah cottah !

So the indirect answer is "Fuhgeddaboudit" ?

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Just load them. Easier to clean the reloader. Wayne

11. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Never ceases to amaze me the drama this bunch and cause about a single simple question.

And by the way, I just load the dirt nasy hulls without cleaning they seem to perform as the orginals.

Ronbo

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Tron, not only do I own a book on hull clean but I wrote it. Chapter II covers the drying problem by using desicated compressed hot air to launch the hulls from the laundry room to the loading room. Jeez do I gotta tell you everything? I won't even get into cat washing.

13. ismah

ismah Member

Willus, Get your kids to clean them with a wire brush, then a 12ga mop, then wipe them all off with a silicon rag. Kids are good for something. Pay them a penny apiece.

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Cat Washing..........The reason flush toilets were invented.

HM

15. Willus

Willus TS Member

Thank you to ikey-starks & wolfram, you have what looks like a faster way then what I did, I will try it. This is what I did,I sprayed armoral on a cloth, wiped each shell. This took some time, but I noticed that they went through the loader smoother. Then I tryed it on some shells that been loaded several times,the crimp end has become stiff,and it looked like they would not hold a crimp. I applied some armoral on the crimp, let them set for a few days,it seamed the plastic softened some, and the shell loaded perfect. I know there are a few of you that will have a good time with this, but it is cold outside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.