1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning Semi-Auto, Help Please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by REALMcCOY2, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REALMcCOY2

REALMcCOY2 TS Member

I just purchased a Beretta 391 parallel, I love the gun but I hate cleaning it. Can anyone recommend a good cleaning product to clean the carbon and powder residue from the gas ports and gas piston?? I really don't care if it is a homemade recipe or a manufactured product?! Tired of scrubbing in PA. Thanks Jerry McCoy

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

You don't have to clean the entire gun everytime you use it. I believe the manual says a complete cleaning is only required every 5000 rounds or till it won't run.

PM Tron, he'll give you some got tips.

3. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

I used to have one and they are a little tedious, yes? I used a carbon dissolving product like carb cleaner or PB blaster. Let it soak. The interior of the gas block has little holes and parts that get the hard carbon in them. I would also take a twist drill of the correct size and slip it thru the gas port(s) by hand to keep them flowing. I used 2 stroke outboard oil to lubricate these parts as it has high detergency to keep the carbon cleaned up in an engine. Be sure to clean the shaft (rod with threads) that the piston slides on carefully so as not to scratch it. That is what the piston wears on when firing. They don't require frequent cleaning but it gets harder to do the longer you wait.

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

There was a guy in Georgia that was making cleaning brushes specifically for the 390's and 391's. You put them in a drill and they worked great. Soaking the bushngs for a few hours in a carb solvent save hours of scrubbing. Fred

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Contact Tron...

6. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

I put about 20K rounds thru mine a yr. and clean it every 3 flats or so.

Ed's Red, Dremel - end of story.

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

There's some good advice in the above posts that you never used to hear.
    The 391 doesn't need to be cleaned very often. I go at least 2,000 rounds
    without cleaning and my gun works flawlessly. Once in a while I apply Breakfree CLP to all the metal parts including inside the piston which keeps the gun operating smoothly and reduces the work when I finally do clean it.

Anthony Matarese Jr., who shoots a 391 and is one of the best sporting clays shooters in the world, says he only cleans his gun when "he feels (the action) slowing down."

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Mineral Spirits - makes short work of the job and low cost to boot. minimal scrubbing required.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.