1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning Rod

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ArmyMechanic, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

I need help in locating the maker of a cleaning rod that i have seen on this site or another (cant remember) It was before I went to Iraq in 2006 (having just returned) Its brass and can be installed on a drill..

if anyone has any idea how i can find where to purchase it please let me know

thanks

2. brantman

brantman TS Member

shooting sports has one for around 60.00

3. Frenchy

Frenchy Member

You can buy any cheap cleaning rod knock off the plastic handle and it will fit in the jaws of a 1/4 in drill and you can clean your heart off,of course you can only do this for a shotgun,this would be a big no-no for rifle or pistol cleaning because of the lands and groves.Brownells has every thing you need,check it out on line,good luck.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Brownell's has a long brass rod designed for popular attachments that is made to be used in a drill.

5. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

Johnny Householder has them. He'll cut it to whatever length you want and thread it just how you want it. He's on this site so maybe he'll see this.
    I can't recall his website.

BTW, thanks for your service in Iraq. Great to have you home.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

6. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I bought one of those Brownells brass rods for a drill. Too much. Too big. Too heavy. Best bet by a mile is to get an inexpensive cleaning rod that you can either take the handle off or get two and use a non-handle extension at the top and simply put it into the drill.

Like I said, I have the fancy one and use the cheap one. Jake

7. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

thanks for all the input guys.... Great to be home

HT

8. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Johnny Householder is the man...that's the rod to get. His Website still says under construction, but you can contact him by e-mail: johnny@route24.net

I found him a pleasure to deal with, no BS, straight forward, completely honest, and he delivers what he says he will and when he says he will.

This rod and a drill will clean a barrel like nothing else.

Stephen Meyers

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Being in good shape for my age, I like the heavy rod.

An alternative would be the three piece aluminum rods that can be bought at the big box stores.

Since I still do light gunsmithing chores, and lap a lot of shotgun barrels, I use the heavy rod quite a bit.

One would be surprised at the flaws in most barrels which can be felt during the lapping process, and how quickly they are slicked up. I generally use #1 steel wool at a start. If everything is smooth, then I go to #0. I used the finer grades, but spent forever on a barrel. If I am working on a barrel I have for a time, I will progressively use finer steel wool until the chamber and bore feel like oiled glass.

The main advantage of this is ease of cleaning. It seems the promo shells eject from these slick chambers better too. When you need sunglasses to look down your barrel after I service your firearm, that is OK too. Don't do this if the barrel set is tubed. ;^(

10. dhg

dhg TS Member

Contact Performance Specialites, they make a cleaning system they call stoch-brite.

11. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Well-Known Member

Shooting Coach;

Does "being in good shape" mean you are still terrorizing the local, blond, scantily clad, cheerleaders?

Rollin

12. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Shooting Coach...what is your technique for attaching the steel wool to the end of the rod? How do you polish the forcing cone? Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

inexpensive cleaning rod