1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning Rod

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shootsome, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootsome

shootsome Member

Anyone know a good source for a cleaning rod for a 34" barrel. All the ones I find in stores are not long enough to do the job easily.

Thanks

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

Buy two of the store kits. Add one of the extensions to the other and you are good to go. The pieces left can be used in a drill to clean forcing cones and chokes.

3. setter

setter Member

Get the two piece.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Dave Shadel was making and can likely still make custom cleaning rods of a safe material for running in and out of barrels and with custom ends for normal use or with a drill. Try this info:

Performance Specialties
    P.O. Box 3146
    Gardnerville, NV 89410

Office Phone: 775-265-7523
    FAX: 775-265-7522
    E-mail: perfspec@charter.net

5. ramen39

ramen39 Member

I bought one form A fellow that posted on here. His name is John Householder or something like that. He will make them any length you want. They are heavy duty, Made of brass I think.

6. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

oletymer has it right...

7. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Setter also has it in the bullseye.......Dewey rods are a little pricey but are worth it and will last for at least 1 millenium. A little tough to find.

8. DS-AA

DS-AA Member

Hey Bob,
    Thanks for the plug. I can still make them and still get an occasional order, usually from guys who already have one or have seen one used. I quit advertising them as I've been way too busy with re-modeling my home, hopefully in preparation for retirement in a couple years.
    I'm doing a fair amount of gun work now that I can't shoot anymore due to the neck issue.
    Happy Holidays,
    Dave

9. tomk2

tomk2 Member

I make them out of wood dowels, and you can use just about anything you can drill into for the handle. I have used shotshell hulls, old cell phones, larger wood dowels, hand carved handles...... you get the idea. Instructions for the shotshell handle cleaning rod are on the website above.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Dave, great holidays to you too. Sorry to hear about the neck situation but I know that's been a dilemma for most of the time I've known you. What, too much looking up in the air at model airplanes?? <;-) With my glass back and rubber arm, I'm at a crossroads with the shooting too - more surgery on the arm pending. At least when I'm over there we can taste test some brews without hurting ourselves, eh?...Bob Dodd

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

tomk2- How do you fasten a brush on the end of your dowels? I have tried a few different ways with mixed success.

Pat Ireland

12. DocJim

DocJim Member

13. DS-AA

DS-AA Member

I know the feeling, Bob. I can shoot .410 skeet and it doesn't bother me, but it's kinda boring and the skeet guys are known here as the Breakfast Club. All of them make me feel so young!

I'll take you up on the beer and by the next time you make it down we can sit on the new deck and burn a steak or something.

Be well,
    Dave

14. tomk2

tomk2 Member

Pat-

I drill a 9/64 inch hole in the end of the 3/8 inch dowel. I moisten the end, drip some gorilla glue into the 9/64 inch hole, then I screw the hoppes "rifle to shotgun" adapter into the hole. It is a tight fit. In the first half hour to one hour the grilla glue will bubble out and needs some wiping, then I let it set overnight. The brush screws into the adapter like on any cleaning rod. I have some rods that are well over a year old that have not failed at the brush adapter/wood dowel junction, even when used as a chamber or choke brush (which is naturally subject to greater torque).

I do own some quality one piece brass rods that I have spent thirty bucks on. However, my wood dowel ones cost me just a couple of bucks, and work just as well. Not to mention that I get a kick out of making unique handles for the 3/8 inch dowel. I was serious about using old cell phones, hand carved wood spirits on dowels, hand carved mini shotgun stocks, anything that you can drill a 3/8 inch hole into. BTW- do not ever drill into a lithium ion battery, they get really, really hot when punctured!

15. Gregor

Gregor Member

shootsome,

I'll jump on the Bob Dodd bandwagon.

I had Dave at Performance Specialties make me a custom rod for my Super-X 1 Trap gun. They are made of a carbon fiber type material and are feather light and super strong. Easily the best out there, you cannot appreciate the benefits that the light weight rod has until you use one. Dave is a stand-up guy too.

Regards,

Gregor

16. shootsome

shootsome Member

Thanks for all the great advise. Appreciate it!

17. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

TomK2...if you will permit a friendly addition to your design...I found that a few coats of wiped-on Tung or linseed oil to be helpful in keeping the hard wood rod clean. Also makes it look better. Wipe the oil on while waiting for the glue to dry.

(I used epoxie for the tip adapter. So far so good.)

I also used empty 20 and 28 ga shells for handles. I once used a bicycle handle bar rubber grip. Slip fit and glued on the dowel.

When completed you have a light, attractive, home made, cheap, efficient and totally non-abrasive cleaning rod that will accept all end jags, brushes.

It only gets better with age.

18. tomk2

tomk2 Member

Charles -

While you can not tell in the photo, I actually used some oak stain, then three coats of spar urethane. I know, a little over the top for a cleaning rod, but I have left the brush adapter off some to make them "wad rammers" on the trap field. The spar urethane has held up rather well. I have some that have spent 13 months outdoors exposed to chicagoland weather, and they are still in good shape.

I have also used a wood burner to put text on them, like club name and such.

You are the first person I have run across that also makes these things. Great minds think alike??

19. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I use a Kleen-Bore rod. It is long enough for my 35" barrel. Click on URL above. The offer it in stainless steel, which I have, and brass. Worth the money.

Just in case the URL block above isn't big enough, here is the URL.

http://secure.armorholdings.com/kleen-bore/onepiecekits.html

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Boresnake or fuzzy mops both can do 34 inch barrels. If I want to scrub or brush a bore over and above these 2 I use a battery drill and jointed rod, going in from both ends. Finish with fuzzy mop (Tico tool).

I also have one of the old wooden rods with brass ferules that goes 34 inches.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.