1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cleaning porting residue from upper barrel?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Hello All- I have both barrels on my kolar pro-port pigeon ported. I absolutely love it. However, the porting from the lower barrel leaves a pretty heavy residue on the bottom of the over barrel, which is pretty difficult to clean off. I've been able to get most of it off with a plastic brush and oil, but some still remains, and its pretty time consuming to get off. Any suggestions?

2. Tom @ Athens

Tom @ Athens Member

SLIP 2000 markets a product called Gas Piston and Parts Cleaner. Sold in pints, quarts, and gallons. It's non hazardous with no strong smell. I Just wipe it on and the burnt powder and residue just disintegrates from my porting. I soak my choke tubes and gas pistons in it for a few minutes and everything just wipes off. They are as clean as new.
    Tom Dulin

3. JCS

JCS TS Member

I see many wipe the bbl. after every shot .

I put some oil/grease on the bbl/s , especially around the ports .

After shooting, just wipe it clean .

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

thanks guys. I think i'll try the chemical route before I try anything stronger than the plastic bristle brush i'm using now. Will try to find the Slip 2000 or shooters choice products as soon as I can.

Thanks guys!

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I spray on WD40 right after I am done shooting ...just wipes it all off with a rag.

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Same here.. WD40

7. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Wipe barrels down with Break Free before you put them to bed and wipe them with a rag that has been sprayed with Break Free after shooting and the residue never has a chance to stick.

HBT

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

A "stainless steel brush or pad" on a blued barrel? You've got to be kidding!

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I spray a little oil on barrels and clean the action and forend first. By the time I get to the barrel, the goop wipes right off.

10. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

I have used Eszox for a couple of years. It is a good cleaner but a little expensive for use as a primary cleaner - I use it basically as a treatment. When the gun is warm apply it to the outside and inside - really good at preventing rust from sweat and also reduces anything sticking to the gun -
    When I clean the inside of my barrels - I clean out all oil with BoreScrubber then apply the Eezox - let it set then run a dry patch through the barrel - then really wipe the chambers dry----it is a great product - just wish it had a little better odor.

http://www.eezox.com/

11. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

May or may not help but I use pipe cleaners and Hoppes #9 to clean the ports. Then I run a patch through. Darrell

12. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use Ed's Red. It cleans the bore of plastic wad build up, powder fouling and does a great job on cleaning the ported area of the barrels.

13. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

On the one gun I have with ports (GRRRRRR!) I use the same grease I do on the hinge etc. and just wipe a thin layer around the ports and upper barrel. The last thing I do when putting it in the case is wipe that grease off, any crud comes with it.

I know this will work for 150 rounds, but it may require another application if any rounds over that are shot.

14. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Breakfree clp will work fine, please don't use any stainless or and other kind of steel on the outside of your barrel if you want to retain the good looks. Nothing you can put on it before hand will keep it from getting dirty, the temps are just too high but a coating of clp can't hurt.

15. Jimmy E

Jimmy E TS Member

A "how to clean a gun" post? Are you serious? With everyone having their own "magic" solution? FINALLY!!
    Jimmy E

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.