1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cleaning plastic out

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mike T, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

Want to know if this may harm My barrels. I have tried lots of ways to get the plastic wad residue out. But by accident this is what I did last night. Got home from shooting a 300 bird program have a 682 combo so I took and sprayed the barrels with WD40 and just left it till tonight. Now ran a patch over a wool jag down the barrels. Looked pretty good by had plastic residue just in front of the forcing cones and the choke tubes too. Found a small piece of the "gray" colored Scotch-brite. put to over the wool jag pushed it through a time or two. pushed through a cloth patch WOW the barrel is clean. The easiest way I have found. Now will this harm the barrels or chokes???

thanks
    mike t

2. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

DO NOT use any kind of scotchbright. It's harder than glass and will difinately scratch your barrels. Try it on glass if you do not believe me.

3. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Just FYI we use scotch brite pads in the sheet metal trade(red, green, and gray) for finishing stainless steel corners sometimes, to blend in the natural scratches in the metal #4 finish.

4. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I don't even clean my barrels and they still smoke a bird so why waste on cleaning supplies when you don't need to.

I think cleaning a barrel is just like they tell you to change oil in a car every 3,000 miles it's all a money making gimmick.

to sell more product's.

foghorn220

5. mike T

mike T Member

Want to know if this may harm My barrels. I have tried lots of ways to get the plastic wad residue out. But by accident this is what I did last night. Got home from shooting a 300 bird program have a 682 combo so I took and sprayed the barrels with WD40 and just left it till tonight. Now ran a patch over a wool jag down the barrels. Looked pretty good by had plastic residue just in front of the forcing cones and the choke tubes too. Found a small piece of the "gray" colored Scotch-brite. put to over the wool jag pushed it through a time or two. pushed through a cloth patch WOW the barrel is clean. The easiest way I have found. Now will this harm the barrels or chokes???

thanks
    mike t

6. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

DO NOT use any kind of scotchbright. It's harder than glass and will difinately scratch your barrels. Try it on glass if you do not believe me.

7. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Just FYI we use scotch brite pads in the sheet metal trade(red, green, and gray) for finishing stainless steel corners sometimes, to blend in the natural scratches in the metal #4 finish.

8. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I don't even clean my barrels and they still smoke a bird so why waste on cleaning supplies when you don't need to.

I think cleaning a barrel is just like they tell you to change oil in a car every 3,000 miles it's all a money making gimmick.

to sell more product's.

foghorn220

9. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

foghorn220....... You know I think you have the right idea about not removing the plastic from the inside of the bore, forcing cones and choke tubes, that is a waste of effort.

One of the plusses of that plastic, it should protect your bore from shot scrubbers that lead your bore...... I’m not sure about how much protection from condensation / corrosion it will give, adhered to the ID of your bore but I’m sure if you leave it in there long enough there won’t be any noticeable forcing cones and the ID of the bore will be reduced to less than minimum size over an extended amount of time......

Why would there be shotguns that are backbored or have oversize bores if the plastic was not meant to be removed to maintain that oversize ID?

But seriously a small investment in a long handled brass bristled bottle brush in the gage that you shoot, along with a long handled chamber brush are two of the best investments in shotgun maintenance that you can make. Just a couple of passes down the bore from each end with the bottle brush and in and out with the chamber brush and you will remove all that plastic.

If your on a budget, high $$ solvents can be replaced by mineral spirits, a gal. sells for a couple of bucks and works just as well as the high $$ solvents, goes a lot farther and when allowed to settle just filter out the junk, it is reusable.

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I wouldn't use ANY hard abrasive in a barrel that I cared anything about. I don't think I'd be using Scotchbrite ANYTHING in one of my barrels.

11. mike T

mike T Member

Thanks all

I guess it back to the brass brushes.

mike t

12. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I myself use a cordless drill. I do NOT however let the brush get hot inside the barrel. Gonna look into the RGS stuff.

13. ajc

ajc Member

A shooting buddy of mine, who shoots an expensive P-Gun, has used aerosol Brake Kleen for years. Says it works wonders on the plastic residue. He doesn't use it to clean any other parts though.

14. C H S

C H S TS Member

Plastic wad residue is just like Saran Wrap for locking moisture in.

It works real well at trapping powder residue and moisture against the bore walls where it causes rust and pitting. Its a lot worse in some guns than others. Leave it in your barrel and find out how good yours is.

Andy

15. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

RE: RGS - I called Recob this morning. They report that they do not have this product in stock, nor do they carry it.

I did a google search for RGS, and I was unable to locate it.

Dave

16. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

RGS in made in Wisconsin and is sold by Nick Thanos. He will be at the Wis. State Shoot this week and will have some RGS for sale. I will tell him about this web site and see if he wants to post info on how to purchase RGS from him.

17. chc

chc TS Member

Anything with acetone should work OK, such as Ed's Red:

CONTENTS: Ed's Red Bore Cleaner
    1 part Dexron ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.
    1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1
    1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits CAS #64741-49-9, or substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or equivalent.
    1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.

18. TheGentleman

TheGentleman TS Member

MEK works much better than acetone, however it is quite a bit more toxic and almost as flammable. You would want to wear appropriate gloves and use it in a well ventilated area and watch open flames, heat and smoking around it. I swab the barrels with a bore mop soaked in MEK and wait a minute or so and then run a bronze brush down it. Usually works on the 1st pass but occasionally a second pass is needed. Also, keep it away from the wood.

19. C H S

C H S TS Member

Re: Ed's Red

Don't waste time trying to locate the ingredients with the proper CAS numbers. They don't exist in any hardware, paint or chemical store I could locate. I just had to use what I could get. But frankly Shooter's Choice spray choke cleaner works better.

Andy

20. TheGentleman

TheGentleman TS Member

I use the Ed's Red and I found all the ingredients at Wally World. The aliphatic mineral spirits or stoddard solvent is commonly refered to as paint thinner. Home Depot and Lowes also has everything but the Dextron. That is available from auto parts stores.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.