1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cleaning patches

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Stumpstalker, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stumpstalker

Stumpstalker TS Member

I need shotgun patches in a large quantity. The catalogs I have list them in 100 piece bags and I need more at a better price. Any sources?

Carmine

"There are two ways to spread the light, be the candle or the mirror that reflects it"

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Maybe I am a hillbilly but paper towel pieces wrapped around the bore brush have served me well for years

3. Jim_90-T

Jim_90-T Member

I use Butch's 3" patches that come 300 in a bag available at Midsouth Shooters Supply for $7.23 .

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0001502911

Jim

4. fletcher

fletcher TS Member

Old cotton t-shirts work make the patch as big as you want with a pair of scissors

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

If I paid $4500 for a barrel, I would expect it to survive a paper towel run down the inside. Paper towels make excellent and really cheap swabs. I just wrap a piece around a bore brush.

6. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

For routine shotgun cleaning I use about a 3-4 foot piece of Charmin TP wadded into the chamber and then pushed through with a 1/2" piece of dowel rod. 2-3 feet long for 20 gauge, and for the .410 about 1 square is about right. .....Rick

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

If your wife likes garage sales have her keep an eye out for t-shirts and flannel shirts and some soft sheets. Mine washes all that stuff and she has an electric scissors I us to cut them up. Cost is next to nothing and better that the 2x2's you can buy.

8. Don K8020

Don K8020 TS Member

I use Pro-Shot 100% cotton flannel 3" sq. patches that you can purchase directly from Pro-Shot Products for $12.70 for a 500 count bag -- a lot cheaper than the same patches from Sinclair.

100% cotton flannel seems to be the best material for cleaning patches. It's favored by high-power rifle shooters, pistol shooters, benchrest, etc. The shooters supply companies that cater to these shooters (such as Sinclair Int'l and Kinneman's) sell only 100% cotton flannel patches. I've been using the Pro-Shot patches for nearly 20 years in all my guns. Good product and the price is nearly unbeatable.

http://www.proshotproducts.com/

Don Anderson

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Both paper towels and scrap cloth work well. Scrap cloth or old clothing is easy to get at Goodwill or yard sales. Paper towels are easy to find.

Pat Ireland

10. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

I use VIVA paper towels folded & pushed through with a wooden dowel.I have used this method on K 80,870,etc. I also use this method on some mighty fine target rifles. So far, no scratches after 30 years of doing it this way.
    Joe

11. IndyJohnO

IndyJohnO TS Member

Have used paper towels for over 15 years. Paper towel strips folded on a 12 ga plastic jag, with flexible fingers, works perfect making beautiful bores.

I use this technique in conjunction with WalMart Carburetor cleaner (toluene and acetone) and WD-40. The toluene/acetone/WD-40 absolutely softens up slabs of bore plastic papet towell strips on the jag. Its all an excellent shotgun bore cleaning technique. Bores are clean and bright.

Never have a need for Bore-Snake or a bore brush.

JohnO

12. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Old shirts, skirts and the like, heck you can get tons of free cotton clothes at the end of garage sales also & make all the sizes you want. Ive never bought cleaning rags for anything when there is so much old clothes laying around thats better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.