1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning Oxidized Shot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrskeet410, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I was given two bags of #9 Lawrence Magnum shot. It's heavily oxidized. It's so bad I took one look at it and decided it would never flow thru a 410 drop-tube without bridging. I tried it in a 20 loader. It even bridged in that.

Lots of dust when I poured it into the bottle I use to store shot. So much dust that I'll do that outside when I open the other bag. I may even take my MEC bottles outside when I fill them next time.

So, is there any simple way to clean this shot? I was just thinking of shaking it around in the bottle. Any ideas?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Wash with water, let dry, then tumble with graphite. HMB

P.S. Stay away from the dust. HMB

3. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Soap and water, that will clean it up. Dry it and add graphite, your ready to go. What you do about the reamining liuqid is another story???

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

The gray/white coating is lead carbonate. Water, with a little acid should get rid of most of it. You could just break up the clumps of shot with your fingers and use it without cleaning. You should wash after doing that and remember not to breathe when handling and reloading the shot.

Pat Ireland

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Pat - I never thought there would be lumps of shot. I kept my face away from the funnel when I poured the shot into the bottle, so I didn't see if there were lumps or not. Even if there were, wouldn't they break-up going through the funnel and dropping into the bottle?

A far as just using it? Well it bridges in the 20 gauge loader, and I don't reload any #9 shot in 12 gauge. So I need to get it clean enough to flow through the 20 gauge drop tube.

I shot some of those 20 gauge loads and shot very poorly. I never thought about the poor score being related to the shot until just now. Maybe, maybe not.

BTW - How much graphite per bag (25lbs)?

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

doggai - Why not just dump the water with the particulate oxide in my neighbor's yard. I'll keep away from neighbor's well.

7. cpthook

cpthook Member

Mix the shot with some fine sand, put it in a sealed container(plastic bottle)
    shake it well and pour over a fine piece of screen. The sand with the oxidation
    will fall through and shot will clean up. Takes about one tablespoon of graphite for 25 lbs. Jim

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

mrskeet410- The shot can stick together and form clumps-- this is probably why it does not flow through the drop tube.

Pat Ireland

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

mrskeet410.... For all the time and effort you will expend trying to get this shot clean enough to load and shoot properly you could go out and just buy 2 bags of new shot. 2 bags would not be worth my time to even mess with if it involved all this trouble to make ready to use, however, 20 bags is a different story altogether. Dump it and forget it.... Just my opinion... Dan Thome (Trap2)

10. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Unless its clumping together as Pat suggests...I don't see why some oxidation on the outside would cause it to bridge in a 20 ga drop tube...what am I missing here?

11. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

It sticks together...watch a gumball machine....they have to slide past each other.

Remember that there are those that claim lead is a natural element and they claim that it is harmless....They must think that oxidation only happens in the bag.....LMAO

12. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

It clumps, I'm just not sure where it clumps. Like I said, when I poured it into the bottles I looked away and held my breath. There was dust, I didn't want to breath it. So I can only say I am reasonably sure it wasn't clumped (stuck) together in the shot bottle.

But with the oxidzation, it is rough, so it is likely it does clump when it drops thru the drop tube.

I noticed when I got bridging in my .410 loader it would happen a lot for a while, then go away for a long while. Then if it started up again, it would be a persistent problem for a while, then disappear. What I discovered was the bridging would occur when I was using a bag of slightly oxodized, out-of-round, or dull colored shot. When that bag was finished, the bridging would cease. So, I'm careful of the shot I use in the .410.

I had a bottle of bad (oval shaped pellets) home-made shot that would bridge in the 20 gauge. It even bridged a few times in the 12.

So, the shot must be smooth or it will clump going through the drop tube. The smaller the tube, e.g. 410, the more likely it is to clump. That's why when I saw oxidization on these bags, I didn't even think about using them in the .410.

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Pullll - How much graphite for 25 pounds?

14. buckhunter26050

buckhunter26050 Member

Some of the guys at our club have been reclaiming shot from the range and putting it in a tumbler or a cement mixer with straight clorox and runing it for a while then rinsing with water ad drying and adding graphite. It comes out looking like new.

15. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Shaking it in a container of vinegar diluted in water will work but the oxidation will come back quickly so you need to be ready when it dries. I'm having very mixed results with reclaimed shot, some is working ok some barely good enough for the first shot of doubles.

16. razor

razor TS Member

mix it with 2 or 3 bags of good shot and it will flow thru. razor

17. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

ccw1911 - "Shaking it in a container of vinegar diluted in water will work but the oxidation will come back quickly so you need to be ready when it dries."

Be ready to do what?

18. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Graphite it or lube it whatever method you choose.

19. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

ccw1911 - What sort of lube?

20. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

A friend told me that he tumbles it with transmission fluid then graphite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.