1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning Oxidized lead

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shoot682, Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoot682

Shoot682 TS Member

I have about 150 lbs of lightly oxidized reclaimed shot that I would like to clean up and re-graphite. What is the easiest way to remove the oxidation?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Don't breath the dust from that shot whatever you do! It's very toxic.

A cement mixer would be ideal. Just dump the shot into the drum while it's turning, wearing the appropriet resperator, and let it clean itself. I would face a fan to blow into the drum while it is turning to clear the dust. Add a couple of tablespoons of graphine and you're done.

Now that I've said all of that, just sell the shot for $10 a bag less than what you can purchase new for and move on. $60 would be a lot cheaper than cleaning what you have, and a much better use of your time.

ss

3. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=104200

4. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

ss, have you actually gotten shot shiny clean using a cement mixer?

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Yip, nearly a ton of it that I bought dirt cheap quite a few years ago. It had gotten damp and oxidized. The slow tumbling effect of the mixer allowed all the shot to shed it's oxidation by rubbing against each other without deforming it. Had a high speed fan blowing into the mixer while tumbling to get rid of the dust. Re-graphited the shot and poured it off 75# at a time into 5 gal plastic buckets. Kept quite a bit and sold the rest to raise funds for improvments around the club . It was an all day job and only worthwhile because of the amount we did. I wouldn't repeat for 150# of shot that's for sure!

ss

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Try CLR cleaner - just add some to the cement mixer - just enough to wet all the shot.

No need for a fan. Run for a while, dump out, rinse well with water, dry, and you are good to go...

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Never thought of that HSLDS. Good idea.

ss

8. Shoot682

Shoot682 TS Member

Unfortunately I don't have a cement mixer, and i really don't have enough not to warrant buying one. I tried "The Works" mentioned in the 2coolfishing link. It seemed to work fine, except it takes WAY too much water to rinse it out. I spent about 2 hours cleaning 25 lbs of shot. What I found out was that he shot is only very lightly oxidized and if I just wash it and then re-graphite, it feeds just fine.

I will say one thing for sure. SS is right...it is definately not worth $10/bag for the process you have to go through.

9. shootnair

shootnair Member

Use caution using water to rinse your lead as mentioned. Lead is a real pain to dry. small amount of 150lb may not be too bad. Experience talking.

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I yer gonna wash it and dump the water, make sure you dump it where you'll never grow anything, drink the water or where no body is likely to take a soil sample if you ever want to sell your property. Whatever you dump out will be where you dump it for a very long time!

Keller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
to clean oxidized lead shot
clean oxidation on lead
clean oxided lead

cleaning oxidized lead

how to clean oxidized lead shot

how to make lead shot shiny
oxided lead shot
oxidized lead dust