1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning oil question??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Grade VI, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

My son and I had a heated discussion about mixing cleaning oils for gun cleaning. I mixed WD 40 with G 96 to use for cleaning shotguns. He says that mixing these solvents can be dangerous and even explosive. My view is that I am mixing two cleaning oils together and nothing can happen. I should have told him about "Ed's Red" gun cleaning fluid and what is used to make that. Who is right? Thanks for any help!!

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I doubt blending oils will cause any problems ...if it did we'd have gigantic warnings and need to sign affadavits not to sue just to add a quart to our cars thats not the brand of the others in the crankcase

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Been doing it for years

4. Erik W

Erik W Member

Sounds like a good idea. I could probably clear some shelf space by consolidating a lot of similar stuff.

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Your son is full of crap. Mixing liquid chemical products of unknown content is ALWAYS a good idea.

-Gary

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

When you mix nitrates, oil, and spark you get kaboooooom! Oil and oil not so much.

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I've been using a 50/50 mix of Ballistol and Kroil for a long time. I personally wouldn't ruin the G96 with WD-40. JMO. Wish I could get some G96 around here, no one sells it.

Wayne

8. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

There are cans for sale on eBay, Wayne.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G96-GUN-TREATMENT-12-OZ-lube-cleaning-oil-protection-/390338852843?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae20237eb

!BppGSVQBWk~$(KGrHqUH-D0EuZJczEW3BLsQ!9LdnQ~~_3.GIF

And also available on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/G-96-Aerosol-Lubricating-Spray-oz/dp/B0000DD5TL/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313870754&sr=8-1

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Guys quit playing around get Gunzilla-does it all in one bottle, doesn't smell and washes off with soap & water. It's all I use.

Phil Berkowitz

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Clenzoil, when only the best will do and it comes pre-mixed ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.