1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning my chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

It seems the previous of my Citori didn't like cleaning the skeet chokes. They are loaded with crud. I soaked them in Hoppes and some black came out. Then I scrubbed with a brass brush. Still cruddy. Any suggestions for getting them clean again?

Larry

2. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Try putting your brass brush on a high speed drill and clean your tubes then soak them in Hoppes. ......... they will come out nice and clean.

3. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I first degrease my chokes with brake cleaner then put the chokes in a bottle of Hoppes No9 for 12-24 hours then use a 10 guage bore brush on a cordless drill and they are bright and clean.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I use a bronze brush from a cleaning kit, but I wrap some fine steel wool around it. It might help to load it with some carb cleaner or other solvent.

Walmart sells a couple of them for cheap. Tech 2000 comes to mind. I have taken the most of it out with a knife before brushing to save time.

The plastic seems to collect on the entry into the choke.

HM

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Won't acetone eat thru the plastic??? Maybe brake cleaner?

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Lots of things will eat the plastic. some will eat the brush. Some will eat the finish off your stock. Some will eat your hide.

Find one you like and use it.

HM

7. willing

willing Member

I have done all of the above, a long and tedious job. What really helped the most was that I polished the inside of the clean chokes using different grades of polishing compound, really polished, and now they don't get dirty very much at all. Worked for me.

Bill

8. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Ed's Red cleaner...... don't get any on the stock.... Grubby

9. Ed in MD

Ed in MD TS Member

Bill,

The chokes are unpolished for a reason. It's to slow the wad, allowing the shot to acheive the intended pattern.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Mineral Spirits (oderless) is what you want. Not as volatile as acetone and fairly inexpensive. Brush it on with a toothbrush or clean the tube in place in the barrel. 10 minute soak time will get all the gunk with no elbow grease required.

Charcoal lighter fluids are mostly mineral spirits and will work if you just want to give it a try. The stuff you buy in the hardware store is alot cleaner.

Don't forget to oil everything up after you clean it as mineral spirits will remove all of the old oil.

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

You might want to check out Muller chokes--right now one of the best shooters I know uses them, and swears their ceramic coating makes them really stay clean. He shoots a Browning.

Phil Berkowitz

12. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I use Muller chokes in one of my trap guns & I just leave it in the gun & clean it as I clean the bore.........easy & super clean......by the way it patterns very nicely also.

13. willing

willing Member

Ed-md
    I've got a bridge for sale.

Bill

14. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Elbow grease. A power drill. And a brass tornado brush locked into said drill. Keeping your chokes clean assure the patterns you experienced during testing, plus it's density and POI. As the plastic wad material builds up inside the tube, that IMod might become a LFull or Full choke. So when asked what choke you are using, unless you keep the tubes clean, your best answer would be "I'm not sure."

Do your PM and then you'll know...

15. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I use small retractable blade knife, if I don't see plastic residues, I just leave it to regular solvents and bore brushes.

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Why clean a choke tube, specially if it's stainless steel???

If you're satisfied with how your gun shoots after 200 targets, look inside the choke tube. Guaranteed that what you see was deposited in the last 10 shots, maybe the last 5. You've been shooting with a dirty choke probably since post 3 of the first relay.

Just let routine bore cleaning take out what's gonna come out and if solvent doesn't leak into the threads, crack the choke with a wrench every so often to make sure it's not too loose or too tight. Put some fresh anti-seize on the threads once a month (or more often if sloppy choke fit lets solvent dilute your anti-seize when you clean the bore).

MK

17. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

The WD40 worked perfectly. Soaked over night and most of the black crud just fell off. The rest buffed out easily with a brass brush on my drill. Thanks for the tip, Eddie. Has me curious about other things I can clean with WD40.

18. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

You guys clean your chokes???

19. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

WD-40 has a bad name in the shooting world and I can't find any truth to what's said EXCEPT that it shouldn't be sprayed liberally in the many mechanisms and then stuck in the safe for a decade or two. Used liberally for cleaning then with the excess blown out with an air pump has worked well for me on revolvers, semi-auto pistols, rifles, shotguns, reloaders, and such since the late 60s. Those revolvers were carried on duty, even in wet, cold, and heat on motorcycles and never failed to work and none - zero - firearms ever had a build up of the WD-40. It seems to me that every one with tales of it's problems have simply overused the product and left the gun sit for many, many months or years. Heck, doing the same with Hoppe's 9 will jam a gun - like my father in laws Winchester long after his death.......breakemall

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.