1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning MEC powder and shot bottles.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PatMiles, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Has anybody discovered a way to clean the inside of the MEC bottles? Doesn't take long to stain the inside.

Thanks,

Pat

2. surfcitydude

surfcitydude Member

They stain very fast and it doesn't really clean up like new. You would think by now someone would come up with a nice acrylic replacement shot and powder tubes, like the ones on Dillon or Spolar that are stronger and don't stain. I'd take 4 of them right now for my 2 presses.

3. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Why??? Just not important.

GS

4. PatMiles

Midalake,

It would be nice to be able to see powder and shot levels at a glance. Important to me.

Pat

5. PatMiles

I would like to be able to see powder and shot levels at a glance.

Pat

6. PatMiles

I would like to be able to determine powder and shot levels at a glance.

Pat

7. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Don't believe that the Dillon's don't stain. I can hardly see my powder level, although all you have to do is ask for one and they will replace it.

Dave

8. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

A company (basic design or basic machine) makes a shot tube for mec that holds 25 pounds of shot and has an acrylic tube, I bought one and love it. However at the time (2 or 3 years ago) he did not make onr for the powder.

9. PatMiles

Dave,
    I put new bottles on me 9000 about six months ago. I don't leave powder (Clays) in the bottle when not loading. Shot yes. I have a Dillon 650 that I bought new fifteen years ago and treat the powder the same. The powder measure on the 650 is clear, not pristine but clear. I load VihtaVouri with the Dillon. I guess the Clays powder might be part of the problem.

Pat

10. quartering

quartering Active Member

are the threads on a mec bottle the same as the cap threads on a bottle of water? there ya' go

11. DanLee

DanLee Member

The stain is from the graphite coating on both shot and powder. I prefer "stained" bottles as they don't hold static electricity like brand-new ones do.

Dan

12. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

The only powders that I load is Greendot and PB and yes I empty the powder measure. I think the stain is from graphite like Dan said. The stain is black.

Dave

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I once tried to polish the inside of a P-W acrylic powder tube with a sewn cotton buffing wheel on a 12" x 1/4" extension chucked in a drill press using several kinds of metal polish. I don't know how deep the stain goes but a couple hours of this convinced me that $14 was a good price for a new tube.

Keller

14. PatMiles

Oh well, I'll just have to get used to it. Thanks for the responses.

Pat

15. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

First try ice and about 2/3 water and shake back and forth and swirl. This removes the stain out of coffee makers glass very well.

I also have used fine sand and water and did the same. Not as new but much better. Ray

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What Dan said. The graphite reduces or eliminates "static cling". I use my most stained bottles for powder.

A light behind the press helps you see what's going on, as well as the powder and shot level.

17. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have loaded over 50,000 shells in my MEC 9000G and I have never cleaned the shot or powder bottles and I can still see the contents o.k.

Allen

18. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"First try ice and about 2/3 water and shake back and forth and swirl. This removes the stain out of coffee makers glass very well."</i></blockquote>If the plastic of the powder bottle has been chemically stained (dyed) by the compounds in the powder, no amount of ice, sand or polish will remove it. The color is IN the plastic not ON it.

I've cleaned shot tubes with soapy water and a stick with a bit of towel wrapped around the end...alcohol or Windex when there's not soap around.

Keller

19. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Your shot bottle you can some what get it clean by using WD-40 on a cleaning rag on a end of your cleaning rod. I wouldn't do that with your powder bottle.
    IF your powder bottle that bad buy a new one.

20. PatMiles

Doggai,
    I like your remedy. Gin & tonic... yeppers!

Pat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how do empty mec powder bottles

mec powder bottle contents