1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning Mec bottles ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ljutic111, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

What is the best way to clean the inside of the mec powder and shot bottles ? I can barely see into them . Not worth buying new since I rarely use my 20 ga reloader so don`t tell me to buy new ones . Thanks in advance .

2. capvan

capvan Active Member

I'd try swirling some different solvents in there, alcohol, turps, etc. Something will cut the mess. Just be sure they are really, really, dry before using...

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

These brushes work good, especially in the old bottles with no fill plug. Wayne

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The humming bird brush is a good idea. I would stick with dish washing soap and warm water and forget the solvents. What you are trying to remove is graphite. The dish detergent will cut that. Solvents will soften the plastic and make it permanently cloudy.

Jim Skeel

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Soap and water work the best. You might also put in an abrasive such as sand in the water and shake the bottle a lot.

Be sure you remove all soap, water, sand from the bottle before you put in back on the press and load shells. If you do load shells with water and sand instead of powder, the recoil will be pleasant but nothing else good will happen.

Pat Ireland

6. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Come on! There $8! You'll find it almost impossible to clean the shot bottle. Not to mention is will take forever to completely dry out. While I won't say to buy a new one. If i were you I'd skip one of the following sometime:

6 pack of beer
    2 packs of smokes
    take lunch to work instead of buy.

Treat yourself to a new one. It blows my mind a trap shooter who most likely has a $2K plus shotgun doesn't want to buy a new one. Lets take a collection and get the guy a new shot bottle. I'll pitch in a buck to get started.

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Thanks everyone . Now I did ask that you didn`t expect me to buy any new bottles, just to clean the ones I asked about . Catching Chrome especially , I have 2 brand new tall and short bottles that I have on hand that I don`t wish to use . I do love my beer and bourbon and have some nice guns and wish to save my hard earned cash for later in life which is coming too quickly so thats why I asked how to clean these bottles but I guess you like to spend my money better that my wife can . I can afford the $16 for new ones but thats not what I asked !!!!!!! I did use soap and sand last time but was wondering if there was any other method than that . Solvent doesn`t look like the right choice . I do have plenty of everything thats made or can get it at a phone call. Thanks guys

8. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Have you tried using a denture cleaning tab? I've used them on shot bottles, vases, toilets, etc. They work great! I feel alittle odd buying them, but throw them into my big supermarket order and the youngins never comment or look to see how many teeth I have ;)

9. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have loaded over 45,000 shells with the same powder and shot bottles in my Mec and I can still see the powder and shot very well. I fail to understand why they would need cleaning.

I just fill the bottles to almost full and this is enough powder and shot for 200+ reloads.

Have you had your eye-sight checked lately?? lol

Allen-MX8

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

ljutic111- I agree with you. Clean the bottles. We use and throw away too many things when they can be repaired just because it is easier. Do you remember when every small town has two television repairmen? Now, we just see television sets tossed in trash piles.

Pat Ireland

11. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Pat , your absolutely right . I do live in a very small town - less than a mile square and I knew the 2 TV repairmen , as a matter of fact one lives across the street from me . The recycle center in town has piles of TV`s , computers and other good looking stuff that just gets thrown away when it fails . Back to the bottles , the soap and sand didn`t work so I will take Yvonne`s advice and get some denture tabs and see if that works and if not them I will use them as is . We are starting a gun related Flea Market this year at our club on Sundays so these new bottles will be on the tables along with other unused items from all members and shooters coming to the club . This will recycle unused things we no longer need or want and we may also find things we didn`t know we need . This should be very interesting and I wonder if other clubs are doing the same except just posting on the board ?? Oh and by the way , I do have new glasses for those who were wondering of my eye sight . LOL

12. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

OK , I`ve done the sand and soap in the bottle trick and that did some good but not much . Then I got the denture cleaning wafers and doubled up on them overnight and that didn`t work too good so I guess I will use these bottles as is since no one sent me the dollar to get new ones !!!! Now all I have to do is walk around the stores looking for some old lady with bad colored dentures and give the remainding 104 wafers to her.

13. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

So tell me, How much money did you save by not buying new bottles?

ss

14. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

SS - that's just mean. Funny, but mean....

Wish I'd though of that.

:)

Joe

15. jerryv

jerryv TS Member

I have used Flitz on a rag, pushed around with a stick. It worked very well. Next time I need to clean them, I am going to dedicate a bore swab on a cleaning rod to do it. I would not use any abrasive material as it will make the bottle appear cloudy. I wonder if a coat of wax would help keep it clear longer?

16. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

The funny thing is my shot bottle is very dirty too. I bought a new one but still use my old one for a different size shot. I might have to try some of these home receipes to clean them too!

17. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I use one of Lou's shot reservoirs bt Basic Design Machine. Beside holding more than a full bag of shot, the reservoir is large enough that I just spray the inside with glass cleaner and wipe it clean with a paper towel.

[​IMG]

Ed

18. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

ED your loading area is just way too damn clean! My wife saw your picture and I have been hearing "Your area should look the same". Just ain't natural for a Guys play pen to be so neat! Jake

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

AveragEd- Something is very wrong. Not only are your shot bottles clean, the top of your bench is missing spilled powder, shot and punched out primers. Your shelves are orderly and I don't see any shells that did not load correctly and are waiting to get cut apart. Are you certain that you reload or is your bench just for show? How is it possible to reload without standing on shot and spent primers dropped on the floor?

Pat Ireland

20. capvan

capvan Active Member

I have to feel the crunch of spent primers underfoot to really get in the mood of reloading. And slipping on shot just can't be beat. If I have more than a 6 inch clear space on my bench, I have to go looking for a new project to start...

Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best way to clean mec powder bottles
how to clean mec bottles

how to clean mec power and shot bottles

how to clean mec shot and powder bottles
mec bottles no plugs