1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cleaning MEC bottles?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rick in Ohio, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

I would just pickup some new ones and call it done that way you know what has had what in it.

6 years of reloading shotgun shells I have never clean my powder bottle but I have tried to clean my shot bottle using WD40 and a rag before. I wouldn't use WD40 in your powder bottle but it dose work some what in your shot bottle.

2. RLC323

RLC323 Member

When they get that dark they are probably getting brittle as well around the neck. If you ever had a full bottle of shot break at the neck when you pulled the handle you will not soon forget it. Pitch them and buy a couple new ones.

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I have a large capacity bottle made by Lou of Basic Machine Design; it holds an entire 25lbs of shot. It is awesome! Heavy duty, well made, bullet alum. base with drain tube portal.

His number is 484-241-1136. It would be the last bottle you'd ever have to buy for your loader and it stays transparent too so you can see your shot.

Guy Babin

4. creek

creek Member

The 25 lb. shot bottle is extremely well made and always worked well.....until I started using reclaimed shot. The inconsistant sizes of shot gets caught between the base and the bar.

If someone figured out a fix for this, let's hear it; I miss not using the 25 pounder.
    John (CREEK)

5. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

gdbabin

Can you post a picture for us to see of this 25pound bottle? Sounds cool!

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

C'mon guys, just use a 2 liter soda bottle with a hole cut in the bottom to fit the red plug of the MEC bottles. Works great.

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

how tacky.... I guess if it were a Mountian Dew bottle it'd be ok.

8. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Shadow good idea, Im going to try that. Thanks

9. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

Go with the basic design bottle! A two liter bottle is not designed to hold 25 pounds of anything. Try searching the web for basic design shot bottle. You will be happy. Then buy a new powder bottle, I use the long one, could not be happier with the set up.

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Here's the solution, guaranteed to work:

Take a 32 ounce bottle of Formula 409.

Take a 32 ounce bottle of Windex (original formula, not the fancy crap).

Then walk across the street to your neighbor's house and say, "Hey, would you please give me $7 for these two bottles of cleaner?"

Then take his $7 and buy yourself a new Mec bottle.

-Gary :p

11. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Like others have said, when they get dark and cloudy thet are about to shatter. Don't ask me how I know....

12. scrappy

scrappy TS Member

I have to add my 2 cents. We spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on our machines, the same for our components, but we try to save $10 on a plastic bottle.
    I was walking onto a field one day with another shooter, in front of us was a guy carrying a beautiful K gun. B4 he got to station 1, he bent over to pick up a 2 cent hull, and my friend and I started laughing because we all do the same thing.
    Scrappy

13. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Funny---I have thousands of hulls---I still cant resist picking up the ones I like---Guess it comes from being poor as a kid----George@SJB

14. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

gdbabin,

I've been trying to get one of those bottles from Lou at basic design for about a year now. He keeps telling me I am on his list or that he is getting the material together (that shouldnt be hard, it's only roung aluminum and acrylic tube) or he doesn't have the time, etc.. So I am waiting.

Chuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.