1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cleaning mec bottles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lowbaselarry, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lowbaselarry

lowbaselarry Member

Any ideas on cleaning mec bottles? I can't see what's inside they so black with residue. Tnanks in advance. Larry Marvier

2. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you ever figure it out patent the process and make some money!

3. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

The shot bottle you can use WD40 and a rag to clean it the inside out but I wouldn't do that to your powder bottle.

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Here's the solution, guaranteed to work:

Take a 32 ounce bottle of Formula 409.

Take a 32 ounce bottle of Windex (original formula, not the fancy crap).

Then walk across the street to your neighbor's house and say, "Hey, would you please give me $7 for these two bottles of cleaner?"

Then take his $7 and buy yourself a new Mec bottle.

-Gary :p

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have never tried bleach but will give it a try just to see what it does.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dirty bottles will not have issues with static electricity.

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The plastic of the powder bottle has been permanently discolored by the chemicals in the powder. The color is not ON the plastic; it's IN the plastic. The only way to address the problem is to buy a new bottle and drain the powder out of it when you're not using it. It won't stop the plastic from turning dark but it WILL take a lot longer to happen.

Keller

8. 338reddog

338reddog Member

I have not tried this but a friend said mix up some T.S.P. soak over night. Said it worked for his.

Jeff

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The large MEC bottles are $9.95 and the small ones $7.95. Just buy new ones for Pete's sake. They last for years before becoming so dirty you can't see though them. So at under $20/set and replaced say every 5 years its not really that big of an expense. Nothing last forever.

10. ctreay

ctreay Member

My shot bottle was getting very discolored and I was thinking about trying to clean it out. Before I got to do that the handle on my sizemaster slipped out of my hand and went up hard, the bottle cracked and I had shot all over the bench and the floor. If they are that dirty they must be pretty old and probably brittle like mine was. Replace it and save yourself a mess.

ctreay

11. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Dump the Mec bottles and use a large soda bottle They are free after you drink the soda.

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I had that same brilliant idea many years ago. I learned the hard way that soda bottles are only free until one collapses while full of shot. If MEC believes their bottles benefit from using their Bottle Support System, you know those flimsy soda bottles WILL fail. I agree with the rest who have recommended spending some of your moldy money on a new bottle.

Draining the bottles, especially the one used for powder, is also a good idea. I drain both of mine after every loading session so the powder bottle doesn't discolor and because I don't trust my failing memory to remember which shot size I loaded last.

Ed

13. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I tried filling mine with bleach and let stand for a month shaking it a few times a week before throwing them away since nothing can take the coloring from the plastic . Plastic soda bottles will work if you find the right thread size and don`t fill to capacity but I bought new bottles for my grabber . The 366 tbes discolor also and they have to be changed when needed . Someone I know ent to a plastic supplier and found identical tubes that aren`t suppose to discolor so I will see where and how they do before I spend the same money from Hornady/Pacific .

14. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Look, I'm a "frugal" as they come, but I just buy a couple of new bottles once and a while. Far cheaper than to have the powder bottle burst open during a reloading session. Don't ask my how I might know....

15. lowbaselarry

lowbaselarry Member

Gentlemen,thanks for the feedback. I now realize that I'll have to replace the bottles. What brought this all about, I know someone (couldn't be me,couldn't be that dumb) who switched from his 9000g to a single stage loader for making up some 20 gague loads for dove hunting. The placement of the bottles is reversed so after loading a few boxes of shells he topped of the bottles like he would have done on his 9000g and guess what? Things didn't look quite right. Upon taking some shells apart it became apparent that this idividual should have not been issued a drivers license. Probably also drive on the wrong side of the road. If his bottles were clear it would have obvious what was happening.We are in the habit of recycling everythig we can and hate to dump more than we have to. If the bottles were free, an attempt would still be made to reuse the old ones. My wife doesn,t dump much. Why else do you think I would still be around afer 48 years in captivity?

16. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Larry, it took me three minutes to get thru the laughter!

Charlie

17. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Just go the the URL above and purchase two new ones from Mec, Item #2.

My experience has been that it will ship the same day, you will have it in approx. two!!!!!!!!!!

Frank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

thread size of mec bottles