1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning MEC bottles ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

All my MEC bottles are cloudy ( powder and shot ) from years of use.

Is there any way to clean them or must I buy new ones if I can't take not being able to see if there is powder or shot in them ?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Try soap and water??

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Buy new ones - they are cheap!

Jim Skeel

4. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt TS Member

I just saw some at my local Walmart for 5.24 each

5. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

When they start getting that dark and cloudy they sure as heck don't owe you anything. I just replaced a few myself recently.

6. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

You need to replace them? Why? I have had mine for well over 20 years & are dis-colored but shot & powder still slides well through them.

7. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I have found that a brand new bottle has a lot of static. Had to put a dryer sheet inside the bottle. I say keep using it, but I can appreciate wanting a clean looking set up as I am a little OCD too.

Bryan

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I agree that the old stained bottles have a LOT less trouble with static making the powder stick. I put a little graphite and some shot in a new bottle and swirl it around for a while before I use the bottle for powder. It helps. About old bottles, I did have an old large sized bottle split while I was filling it with shot. I was able to grab it a squeeze it right away, so I only spilled a few ounces of shot. At the price of shot these days, I would not take a chance on a really old bottle again.

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

If its not broke don't fix it. Just fill with powder and shot as needed. You should know by now when it needs to be filled. Now if the plastic gets to hard or soft thats another question. Break-em all. Jeff

10. esetter

esetter Active Member

I had some older bottles on one of my mecs and started to tilt it back and the bottle split in two. Shot went every where. Seems as they get older they get brittle. Now when mine start to get that yellow color I replace them. Shot is too expensive and the trouble to pick up all the shot is not worth the price of the bottles.

11. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

Use any common household cleaner and uses a wadded up paper towel wrapped on anything to rub the sides. It will come clean enough for you to see the level of powder or shot. You only have to clean a stripe down the side to see the level. Will not be all pretty and clear, but certainly functional. Done this for years.

12. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I buy new ones (tall size) and periodically replace them.

Like poster esetter, I had the neck snap off of a tall shot bottle some years ago and it was a pain to clean up all of the shot. Also, I only fill the tall shot bottle about 2/3rds full and use the MEC bottle holders.

If I am loading shot larger than 7 1/2 (for games), I only put a small amount of shot in the bottle as larger shot sometimes hangs up on the drop and I have to jiggle the handle to get the full charge to drop.

Ed Ward

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.