1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning & lubricating reclaimed shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1166, Sep 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1166

1166 Member

How do you clean & lub. reclaimed shot so it will flow through my loader

2. letts

letts TS Member

I use a big cake pan, dump 25lbs of shot in it, use my air compressor to blow out the fines until I feel satisfied that all I have is shot and then I add a small amount of graphite ( just a small pinch) the shot goes through My Dillon with out a problem after that treatment.

Letts

3. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Depends on where it came from. I have seen some from Florida that was recovered from basically sand that would run as is. I had some from Memphis that was recovered fromriver bottom silt that was washed in a cement mixer foru or five times and we finally gave up and melted it down and re-dropped it. Just have to try and see.

4. TRW369

TRW369 TS Member

I just started using reclaimed shot and it was washed several times. So far so good, it just goes smoothly thru my Mech 9000G without any hesitation and there was no graphite added to it either. I understand instead of using graphite, someone told me that if you add a little baby powder to it, will help to go thru your press shot tube.

Terry

5. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I have had some success running reclaimed in a vibratory case cleaner for a couple of hours. It will remove most of the ozidation but leaves a big mess and is bound to be hard on the case cleaner especialy if you try to run too much at once. Don't breathe the dust. Tumbling it in a cement mixer is a waste of time.

6. letts

letts TS Member

Bill Grill has a cement mixer he uses to clean shot, He has it set up to blow air to remove the fines. says it does a good job.

Letts

7. kene

kene TS Member

an alternative lubricant to graphite and baby powder is molybdenum disulfide [MoS2] ... rifle shooters have been using it for a long time and I have tried some reclaimed shot that had it applied -- works very well thru my loader which used to hang up a LOT with shot lubed using other stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.