1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cleaning live ammunition

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rumseyplum, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rumseyplum

rumseyplum TS Member

I have a couple boxes of old .270 reloads that I would like to clean, I know they are ok as far as fireing...they are not corroded, not rusty, in good shape, but dull ...about 30 years old reloads...can I put them in my tumbler to clean them???...Thanks...Bob F.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

A little Flitz, a rag, and about 15 minutes is all that is needed.

ss

3. rumseyplum

rumseyplum TS Member

OK, Thanks...not in the tumbler???

4. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

I would not tumble them as the powder inside would grind into dust , and the end result could be like setting off a bomb..

Not recomended to tumble live ammo...

Better to try the flitz and some elbow grease..

Hope this helps,

Robert

( Newfoundlander )

5. rumseyplum

rumseyplum TS Member

OK, got it...Thanks much...Bob F.

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Quicker, cheaper and less messy than paste polish...just like cotton... Magic Wadding! <center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

MK

7. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Yep, DO NOT tumble live ammo. It changes the powder.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Tunbling takes the retardant coating off the powder grains and makes it very fast burning.

If you decide to tumble them have the paramedics standing by with full kit. Might be a good idea to get your blood type.

the magic wadding is good stuff. we have something like it called treated waste.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have a big can of that Never-Dull - works great. Wear rubber gloves though, the stuff really does a number on your skin.

Don't tumble polish loaded ammo.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    A large surplus ammo importer ran a large amount of ammo through a portable cement mixer to clean it up. Several guns were blown up because the powder was turned into dust. They're no longer in business.

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Brasso and a soft cloth will make them shine. After cleaning with Brasso, spray a little Windex on each round to really make them shine and remove the last traces of the Windex.

T have a large tube of Flitz and I will try it someday.

Ed Ward

12. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

The ammo companies tumble cartridges after loading so the powder being altered is a myth. I do it all the time and velocities are unchanged.

13. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I had a box of reloaded 9mm ammo which sat under the seat of my car for nearly fifteen years (box was dated so I knew when it was loaded).

When I was cleaning out the car to trade it in I found the box - fired perfectly despite all the temperature changes and vibration from all that driving (close to 100K miles).

Not sure if I buy the 'vibration theory' on the powder...

14. VNVET

VNVET Member

Years ago when I shot a lot of 45ACP, I used a Dillon 1050 loader. My loads were 200gr SWC and Bullseye powder. After loading I would clean the excess lube off the loaded rounds in my Dillon vibrator using ground corncobs and a little benzine. About 5 minutes they came out beautiful and never had a problem. Probably cleaned tens of thousands this way. My empty brass was always cleaned bright and shiney before reloading. All I was attempting to do was to clean off the excess wax from the reloading process.

I shot many rounds at the Southwest Pistol League (USPSA)

Jim

15. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

I wouldn't spend too much time on them just lay them out on a clean rag and spay them with some 409 or windex and rub them all at once with another rag.

After you shoot them then you can tumble them to get them really shiny.

tom

16. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Not sure I buy the "pulverizing high pressure" after cleaning but easy enough to check! Take a couple of rounds loaded with "stick" powder like 4350 or 4831 and tumble for 30 minutes! Pull the bullets and check to see the condition of the powder! That may put an end to the myths on here or it may be true?! Tom Rhoads

17. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

If they are in good shape and just dull, go out to a range on a nice sunny day, put them in your rifle and fire them....then clean your gun.

18. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I'm sure I've fired well over 100,000 rounds that were tumbled to clean off the lube. Most were pistol ammo loaded on a 1050 and 650 Dillon in 45, 38 super and 9mm. Some were rifle as well.

Again, just call up Federal, Winchester or Remington and ask if it hurts!

19. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Sounds like a episode for "The Mythbusters." Personally I have tumbled many rounds of metallic cartridges with never a problem. I think the big bang theory of powder turning to dust is an urban myth.

That said instead of tumbling try wiping with some Simple Green. It's a great product with no adverse side effects. If you really want them shiny then some four zero steel wool would be perfect.

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I have a question if the reloaded cartridges are dull and look unclean will it hurt performance? Will it make them shoot or group any different? If not what in the devil difference can it possibly make.

When you go to the range to practice do you load your gear in to the Caddy or the pickup?

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clean live ammo

cleaning live ammo
tumble cleaning live ammo