1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning KOLAR

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BrokeTrapDad, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrokeTrapDad

BrokeTrapDad Member

I didnt want to hi-jack the other posters thread but it has me thinking!

What is the best thing you guys found to clean your gun i.e. spraying in the reciever and not hurting wood if it get on it and also what if any do you wipe down barrels with? And do you use compressed air to blow out reciever and trigger assy and do you spray anything on trigers to clean them? Thanks

2. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Clenzoil is all I use. Scrub the barrel with a brush a few times. Sometimes I use a drill with my cleaning rod inserted. Get the heavy plastic crud loosened.
    Clean patches run through until clean.

I also use the Clenzoil to clean the receiver and forearm. Wipe down the outside and am good to go. When I clean the ejectors, Clenzoil does it for me.

Also use it on choke tubes.

Gene in Illinois

3. BrokeTrapDad

BrokeTrapDad Member

Sounds easy enough! Is it harmfull if it gets on the wood?

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Make sure the edges and ends of the inlets in the stock and forearm are well sealed with finish. Clenzoil may not harm finishes but it will soak into the grain of unfinished wood and soften it eventually. Look at any veteran M-1 or M-14 to see the result.

Keller

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I clean the barrels with Ed's Red and just wipe the breach face and outside of the receiver with a lightly oiled cloth. (separate operations).

Any solvent that works on the plastic residue in the barrel will damage the wood finish so keep them separate.

What I have noticed about my Kolar and it's 0.750" bores is that the plastic fouling is greatly reduced from what I use to get in my 682 Berettas. Evidently the larger bore diameter and/or better finish contribute to this, clean up is a breeze.

6. Salt

Salt Member

Ballistol Sportsmans oil. Will not harm the wood either. Unbelievable cleaning power. Spray the bore when your done shooting, let it soak for awhile then do your normal cleaning. You'll find after using it you'll have less wad fouling and an easier clean up.

Larry

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Krieghoff oil for the lockwork and outside of the gun; wipe it down after application. I remove barerls and clean, out of doors, with acetone followed by a coating of Krieghoff oil.

A gunsmith also told me and showed me that lubing the sear/hammer contact point with Krieghoff grease works just fine; this is contrary to what I believe is Krieghoff's recommendation; a recommendation that is likely conservative to favor any grease getting into the wood or into smaller trigger part areas.

8. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Kolars .750 bore combined with the ex-long forcing cones is about the softest shooting setup I've ever used. My Kolar being a little heavy helps as well.

9. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

BrokeTrapDad:

Wiping the wood with a cloth that has Clenzoil on it won't harm the wood. I will, however. go along with Keller's comment. Potentially any chemical could hurt unsealed wood.

For the wood on my Kolar, I actually use Birchwood Casey's gunstock Wax. Cleans and shines.

Gene in Illinois

10. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

Best thing for the barrel and any parts susceptible to friction is SLP2000 EWL.
    the same stuff used in Iraq and Afghanistan on the chain guns. It is synthetic and does not attract dirt or grit like normal oils. It also bonds with the metal to form an impervious barrier to water and salts(think rust protection). I can tell you from personal experience that it makes cleaning your dirty barrels a piece of cake. 1 or 2 patches through the bore takes out all of the plastic wad fouling and residue as they do not stick to the bore. It comes out as a plastic film in 1 pass. It also comes out a lot cleaner than before its use. I have seen a test on this and a product called EEZOX and they kept pieces of raw steel left out in the rain and elements rust free for literally months. Try it you will like it. Pete

11. BrokeTrapDad

BrokeTrapDad Member

Thanks for all the reponses thats exactly what Ive been looking for! I appreciate all your help.

12. bigeoj

bigeoj Member

I use Prolix cleaner and lubricant exclusively on all my guns. Website says it preserves wood. I love it. Hope this helps! Joe

13. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

#9 Hoppe's all over

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Gunzilla the best out there, no smell washes off with water-doesn't harm a thing.

Phil Berkowitz

15. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Gunzilla the best out there, no smell washes off with water-doesn't harm a thing."</I></blockquote>That's not the Gunzilla I bought. I can't get the smell off my hands even with laundry soap.

Keller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cleaning the forearm on a kolar trap gun