1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cleaning hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by verypoor, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. verypoor

verypoor Member

Ok, I like things that shine. I don't like dirty hulls . Has anyone who has my problem applied anything like armorall or something similar to your hulls before reloading? If so how did you go about it? Were there any problems from doing this?

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

That sounds borderline OCD. I think you should just buy new shells. LOL Who says trap is 95% mental?

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I tried using ArmorAll on my 410 hulls to try to make them last longer, but decided it wasn't worth the effort. ArmorAll isn't really a cleaner. How about a wipe with a rag soaked in Simple Green after they are reloaded? Or you can reload the black Remington hulls and they don't show the soot. :) The yellow 20 gauge shells are the worst. Mark

4. verypoor

verypoor Member

Tire shine?

5. Socko124

Socko124 TS Member

If you really want to clean your hulls, put them in the washing machine in a mesh bag and run them through a normal laundry cycle with whatever detergent you would normally use. You will have to rinse them after this because there may be soap left in them, and then lay them out on the floor of your garage or somewhere to let them dry. Also, the brass can tend to mark up the inside of the washer, but it usually just wipes out. I used to go through this process, but it ended up being too much work.

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Are you kidding? throw them in your washtub at about 50% hulls and 50% dishwasher soap mixture. Stir them around for about 10 minutes with a bottle or toilet brush, drain and rinse. Drain upside down or sling the water out and toss them into open paper bag and wait a month for them to be dry. They will be clean and the primers will be rusted in. But still work fine.

7. verypoor

verypoor Member

Going to do a test batch today. Got some old style once fired AA hulls. Their in the washer now with simple green. When they are done , toss in a pillow case with some of the magic spray wax that i spray on my wet vehicle. Shake around for a while,Buff to desired shine with a polishing cloth. Hey it's cold here.

8. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

You have too much time on your hands.

9. JACK

Hey Rich... Did that 2 years ago. They still sit in the bag. Worried like hell that they would not be dry. I shoot new when the losses are counted.

10. Smokechaser

Smokechaser TS Member

If you must do this -- I certainly would not -- do the following:

Use your pistol and rifle brass tumbler with walnut shells. No sense wasting your time and energy with soap and water and drying and all that rot. Tumble them to whatever degree you want. I would think a few hours in the tumbler and they will look like new hulls.....

A word of advice ---- DON'T DEPRIME BEFORE TUMBLING.....me thinks most of you know why....

11. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

smokechaser, After tumbling, they come out covered in walnut dust. No good. I tried corn cob media once, and it plugged the flash hole so bad I pitched them in the trash.

Would like a machine that cleans and boxes my shells. Not one that eats or complains.

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

verypoor, I like clean shells also. You and I aren't the ones leaving black fingerprints all over the clubhouse door.

13. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Once they are deprimed, you can stick them on the prongs of your dishwasher and let it do the work. After all, that is what those prongs are for.

Hauxfan!

14. verypoor

verypoor Member

First batch is done. They didn't get a shiney as i thought they would. May experiment with other waxes. Buttttt, they sure do smell good and have that slippery feel. Thanks johnny, its not my prints on the door.

15. verypoor

verypoor Member

Ok, I like things that shine. I don't like dirty hulls . Has anyone who has my problem applied anything like armorall or something similar to your hulls before reloading? If so how did you go about it? Were there any problems from doing this?

16. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

That sounds borderline OCD. I think you should just buy new shells. LOL Who says trap is 95% mental?

17. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I tried using ArmorAll on my 410 hulls to try to make them last longer, but decided it wasn't worth the effort. ArmorAll isn't really a cleaner. How about a wipe with a rag soaked in Simple Green after they are reloaded? Or you can reload the black Remington hulls and they don't show the soot. :) The yellow 20 gauge shells are the worst. Mark

18. verypoor

verypoor Member

Tire shine?

19. Socko124

Socko124 TS Member

If you really want to clean your hulls, put them in the washing machine in a mesh bag and run them through a normal laundry cycle with whatever detergent you would normally use. You will have to rinse them after this because there may be soap left in them, and then lay them out on the floor of your garage or somewhere to let them dry. Also, the brass can tend to mark up the inside of the washer, but it usually just wipes out. I used to go through this process, but it ended up being too much work.

20. JACK

Are you kidding? throw them in your washtub at about 50% hulls and 50% dishwasher soap mixture. Stir them around for about 10 minutes with a bottle or toilet brush, drain and rinse. Drain upside down or sling the water out and toss them into open paper bag and wait a month for them to be dry. They will be clean and the primers will be rusted in. But still work fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.