Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleaning Home Made Shot

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Superdog1 
#1 ·
I recently switched back to hydraulic fluid as coolant for my shot making operation. What is the best way to clean the fluid off of the shot? gasoline and mineral spirits works great, however I am currently forced to dry my shot in my basement and I don;t like the fumes being spread throughout my house. Is there any better way?

#2 ·
jbmOU if you have a heat or spark source of any kind around the fumes you may have more trouble than a bag of shot costs.

I had a friend that owned his own drag line, some people may call it a shovel. His cloths were alway greasy from work and his wife would soak them in gasoline and hang them outside to dry and air. She did this for years but one day she put the dried and aired out coverall in the washer and turned it on. It filled with water and when the timer moved, the washer exploded. The house burned to the ground but no one was hurt. The fumes are the explosive part, the liquid will burn.

Good Luck!
Ajax

#4 ·
I get up very early and my wife sleeps late. When I made shot, I cleaned it in a screened bottom box in the kitchen sink. Soap and running hot water worked well and I never did get caught. My wife does not read what I post on this site and I am confident nobody here will tell on me.

Pat Ireland

#5 ·
I use crop oil and have buckets with holes in the bottom and a piece of window screen covering the bottom. I set the bucket on top of another one to let as much drain as I can and then just run cold water through the shot until the water runs clear. I havn't tried it yet, but I think fire resistant hydraulic oil would do the same thing. I think it is water soluable also.

#6 ·
You changed from what and why??? I use crop oil and am thinking about going to break fluid if I can find enough. Crop oil is a bugger to get off. I've tried everything from floor stripper to all kinds of cleaners with little success. I too soak my shot in gasoline (scares hell out of me to do this) and then water rinse and rinse and rinse until I get a good result. I then spread it on a screened frame to dry. Please do not do this in your house. The danger is too great. I doo all this work outside and really worry about the gas even then.
Jim

#9 ·
Thanks for the help so far! I switched from brake fluid to hydraulic fluid. Though the brake fluid is much easier to clean up, the hydraulic fluid seems to give me much better quality shot, as it is much thicker. I also don;t have to worry about the hardness of my lead quite as much with the hydraulic fluid it seems. I'm currently working on a several station cleaning "system" that should hopefully do the job...

#10 ·
the only way i found to get hydralic fliud off of the shot is to dip it three times in three seperate containers of mineral spirits. I then wash in water and dry across a towell. time consuming process. It makes great shot, but takes long time to clean/dry for graphiting. I have switched to brake fluid. Lower temperatures while melting deliver simular results with brake fluid(v/s using hydralic fluid). Depending on the type of hydralic fluid, the mineral spirits get expensive to use. I bought somw cheap no brand fluid, and ended up spending more on mineral spirits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.