1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cleaning dusty hulls?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I have a little more than 3 clay pigeon boxes of mostly once fired Remington Premier hulls (the light green ones made directly before the STS). I plan on using these this year, as they've been sitting here for a while, and I don't have many other once fired hulls to use. They had been previously stored in a 30 gallon garbage bag before they were given to my friend, and then to me, and are very dusty (handling a handful of them leaves a black film on my hands). Any ideas on how to clean them up without going through and cleaning each one individually (which i'll do if I can't come up w/ anything better, but I thought i'd ask here 1st)? Washing is out of the question since they need to be ready to shoot 19 days from now.

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

You could blow them off with an air chuck and a compressor, that might work. FWIW I've loaded up plenty of dusty old hulls without doing a thing to them and have had no trouble.

3. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

I used the old washing machine, til I got caught.LOL
    CB

4. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

Skeet man,

I just received 3 trash bags full of the same type of hulls and just as dirty. I don't bother cleaning them. I hit them with some compressed air and load them with a pair of mechanics gloves on.

Shoot well and often,
    Tom

5. philk

philk Member

Bet they are a lot cleaner than the 5X fired AA hulls I am using with Red Dot.

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Found the key- Throw about 100 hulls into an old pillowcase w/ a fabric softener sheet, tie it in a knot, throw it into the drier on "air" for 20 mins, when they are done, they are as good as new.

BTW, you wouldn't believe the garbage that came out of the hulls. Feathers, leafs, bug carcasses, one spider cacoon, and various other surprises.

7. Pat McKean

Pat McKean Active Member

This is really easy.

Put them in the washing machine with three pairs of jeans an wash them.

When done, put them and the jeans in the dryer for aobut 5 minutes, to get all the standing water out of them. ( Earplugs required)

Seperarte the jeans and put the hulls back into the boxes they came from and put them up into the rafters of your garage for a week or so, then load as usual.

All good,

Pat

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Sell them and get clean ones.

9. gr8shot

gr8shot Member

put them in the dryer with a damp beach towel. ear plugs are a necessity as mentioned. best if the wife is at a hair appt. also.

steve.

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Make sure you clean the lint trap and clean out the dryer vent as well. After "Cleaning" a few thousand hulls, you'd be surprised how much accumulates. If you have a wife or SO that might be offended by your use of the dryer, destroy the evidence. You can always clean the vent pipe while she is home, since you can blame that on her doing the laundry. That knocks one mark off the honey do list. :) I've learned the hard way that loose shells can mark up the drum in the dryer. If you do this, put them inside something. Even a mesh bag seems to work.

11. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

in a pillowcase,and while the wife is not around,i do this method after shooting in the rain shooting my semi autos,mark

12. Pat McKean

Pat McKean Active Member

You can dry those little hummers in the oven, too, but that may be too much information!

Look, household appliances are good for more than one may realize. When I got out of the Navy in '79 I took a part time job at a local garage while I was going to college. One of our customers had a really nice Cadillac with the faux wire wheel covers. Some of you may remember them and the funky locks they had.

Anyway, this guy's wheel covers were always as clean as a whistle, and one time I asked him how he did it.

He said every week his wife would go to the beauty shop for about three hours. When he needed to, he'd pull the wheel covers off and run them through the dishwasher while she was gone.

One smart guy!

-Pat

13. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

I used to wash my Crocs in the dishwasher...key words are USED To! Then one day, the red-headed wife happened to unload the dishwasher. The resulting conversation was not fun. Be advised, household appliances are not always considered community property.

A some men can learn from others mistakes and some men just have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.

14. Shell Shucker

Shell Shucker TS Member

Skeet Man

I get good results with this method.

STEP 1 I first de-prime all my fired hulls.
    Next, fill a 5 gallon bucket 3/4 full with warm water then add a cup of
    Simple Green cleaner,(or any citrus based cleaner such as Citri Kleen,
    Wipe Out or Bam.)Toss in 200 hulls,stir well and let sit for 20 min.
    After soaking stir them well with a wooden spoon, then dump the lot into
    the laundry sink without the plug in. With the water running full-on, swish the shells around to rinse off the residue. Turn off water, then swish around
    again to knock off excess water.

STEP 2
    To dry them, I use a flannel blanket laid out on the floor. Put the shells on
    the blanket, bundle the blanket up to form a bag,(Like a Hobo!)then shake and roll the lot around for a few minutes. Next,spread out the shells on a dry blanket on the floor of a warm room. Place a household fan in position to blow air over them and leave it running for a few hours. If you have a compressor,
    you can blow dry them off to really cut down drying time.(Ear plugs needed.)

The above mentioned cleaners are available in one gallon or larger jugs at
    any outlet which sells janitor supplies. They work far better than dish soap.
    Hope this helps.

Happy Blastin'

JJ Clarke

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.