1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning cloth?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Oregunner, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Yes, use one. I use the red mechanics rags that come in bulk packs. Mark

2. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I looking for the best to use on engraved receivers----SJB

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

SJB,

I use a silicone inpregnated cloth made by Hoppes. There are numerous other companies that make them as well. Here is one made by Birchwood Casey at Gamalies for $4.95.

grntitan_2009_2503461.jpg

http://www.gamaliel.com/clndegreasecleaner/birchwood-casey-silicone-gun--reel-cloth.asp

4. locdoc

locdoc Member

A piece of old T-shirt sprayed with silicon and stored in a zip lock bag has served me very well for several years.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

5. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

If you are giong to use a towel, use a microfibre towel. You can buy them by the bag at Lowes, Home Depot etc. Great for polishing cars, stainless steel appliances. will not scratch.

Go to kozak.com and order the small 2.9 cloth. Works excellent and does a great job. I use them for many items. Works well on Seitz receivers as well as clenzoil and microfibre towel..

6. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Pro Shot makes a great silicone cloth that is around $5.00.

Silicone Cloth 14" x 15" -210 Square Inches

Our Silicone cloth has become a shooters favorite, made of double napped 100% American cotton flannel and double treated with pure silicone.

Removes fingerprints, potentially corrosive epidermal oils, polishes, and cleans. Packaged in a reclosable poly bag.

After use place cloth back into reclosable poly bag to help cloth stay moist after use.

7. DustyOne60

DustyOne60 Active Member

I have a chamois that I use. Have had it for 41 years! Yeppers -41 years. Awesome - like a great pair of well worn blue jeans. Scraped the paint off of an old metal BandAid box and have carried the chamois in that container ever since.

Used all kinds of gun oil, grease etc. It is soft and plaint as ever.

Start a tradition today!

Dusty

8. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

An old gunsmith I used to run with years ago wouldl have a fit when I used a silicone rag. He always said the silacone always penatrated the metal to deep and give him fits when he had to blue one. Said sometimes it left the metal different shades if you got it in the light just right. I also used to build metal working machines for a business I ran. The powder coaters let me know under no circumstances do not us WD40 on the metal that gets powder coated. No matter how hard the would sandblast the could not get it all remove before powder coating. You could see the differnceen powder coated. I could not bring myself to use a silacon on guns. Figure just a precaution. Bill

9. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

b12---I have heard the same about silacone---Still can't get the info I'm looking for the high grade guns engraved receivers---Maybe I should call Krieghoff for their thoughts or maybe some jewelers would know----George

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.