1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trinketshooter, May 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

What is the best product or method for cleaning choke tubes? Neil

2. maka

maka Member

Soak them over night in HOPPES #9. I use a large baby food jar.

3. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I use a brass cleaning brush on a variable speed cordless drill. About 2 passes cleans mine. It depends on which direction your turn the brush as to how agressive it gets.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Acetone will dissolve any plastic build up. HMB

5. r_chappy

r_chappy Member

soak tubes kerosene or diesel fuel 24 hours.

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Brownell's "EZ-Soak" is my first choice but at $20 a jar it's a bit pricey even though it lasts years.

I keep a pint of homemade Ed's Red in a canning jar on the bench and remove and remove and soak the tubes while I clean the rest of the gun.

MK

7. txkpistol

txkpistol TS Member

Use lacquer thinner or acetone in a baby food jar. Wal-Mart sells both. about $7 bucks a small can. Sherwin Williams sells it in 2 1/2 gallon cans for $20. You can reuse the stuff by filtering it thru a paint filter. I wipe mine down after their bath then give them a light coat of gun oil.

m

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

If you want to clean powder residue from the tube, just about anything will work. If you want to clean plastic from the tube, a plastic solvent (acetone, lacquer thinner) is best. If you want to clean lead from a tube, mercury works well but is potentially dangerous. Hard scrubbing with a brass brush will also remove lead and plastic. I have not yet been able to figure out what will clean out misses from a choke tube. Perhaps someone can help me with this.

Pat Ireland

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Mineral Spirits and a tooth brush. Soak the tubes for 10-15 min in the spirits and brush the goo out. No need to get cavemannish or drag out the power tools.

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Pat,

I've been told that ported choke tubes were developed for just that reason. Misses are caused by a excess of bad humors in the gases pushing the shot. The ports allow the bad humors to escape before the shot leaves the barrel so that only good gases remain to propel the charge to its target.

MK

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

MK- Thanks, I had not considered etherous humors. My choke tubes are flush with the end of my barrels but I do have a drill.

Pat Ireland

12. motrap

motrap Member

Pat ......
    For years I have been shooting them out ...... sometimes I get on a roll and am able to shoot 3 or 4 in a row out ...... I am expecting someday soon they will all be gone ......
    ....... Rudy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.