1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning choke tubes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I know that this has been discussed on here before but after search I didn't find it. What is a good cleaner to get plactic residue out of the choke tube. Is there any common products that can be used. Thanks for your response. Jackie B.

2. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Jack, I soak them in Hoppe's and use a short cleaning rod and brass brush in a drill motor. Don't let it get too hot.

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Shooters choice wad and choke cleaner, or something like that.....will soften/melt the plastic much better than Hoppes

4. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

A friend uses a small ultra-sonic cleaner...says it works great & no elbow grease. Best Regards, Ed

5. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

kerosene, brake cleaner, choke and carb cleaner, gas, all work

User most of these outside

long X acto blade also works, peels it out like a lathe

I clean the mating recess in the bbl by pushing a nylon brush thru the bbl and into a jar of kerosene then pull it back into the bbl and scrub the whole bbl

works great

6. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

I shoot Seminoles chokes and have never cleaned a choke tube....30,000 shells thru my Argentina IC choke. Still clean. TheFew

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

carb cleaner, I bought a 1gallon can at walmart, put in a sealed smaller container. I use a bore snake every time I come home. once a year gun(s) get a deep cleaning needed or not.

8. nipper

nipper TS Member

i use a small hand held propane torch,melts it right off

bill

9. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

acetone bought at Homie Depot or fingernail polish remover.

tom

10. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Shooters Choice and a brush installed on a short piece of cleaning rod chucked into a variable speed drill drill at slow speed nicely gets the the plastic out of my chokes. ....Rick

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I recently ordered some supplies from Recob and I wanted some shooters Choice because thats all I ever used. It has always worked well for me. I was talked into buying Slip2000 instead. It is non hazardus, biodegradable, non flamable. It looks like milk and works like a champ. No offending smell in the house afterwards. I put my beretta 303 gas piston in it overnight and I have never seen it cleaner. Pretty amazing stuff.

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Acetone, mineral spirits, turpentine, nail polish remover (obtained from a skeet shooter) and Rem Oil...all work well with a brush hooked to a electric drill.

Curt

13. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

nipper, you're an ass.

14. Old Fowler

Old Fowler TS Member

I've tried just about everything on the market and have also used some homemade stuff but found Slip 2000 to be the very best. The following was copied and pasted from the Slip 2000 website:

Description
    Gas Piston Parts / Choke Tube Cleaner will allow you to clean these parts in 15 minutes or less.

The time consuming and labor intensive chore of cleaning your gas system parts and choke tubes is a thing of the past with our Gas Piston Parts / Choke Tube Cleaner.

SLIP 2000's™ GAS PISTON PARTS / CHOKE TUBE CLEANER was designed with your health and safety in mind. Unlike other products, this product is non-flammable, non-hazardous and it is biodegradable. GAS PISTON PARTS / CHOKE TUBE CLEANER provides you with a safe effective way to clean carbon and plastic wad fouling from choke tubes and all those Semi automatic shotguns gas system parts.

Simple to use
    For best results, on parts that are not cleaned on regular basis, completely submerse parts to be cleaned and allow to soak for 5 to 15 minutes. Remove parts and wipe, brush or rinse clean. It's that easy. Depending on the frequency of cleaning or type of ammo used a second soaking may be required. You may also push a brush or mop lightly through choke tubes and watch the plastic roll out in sheets.

one caveat: I've had to soak the choke tubes longer than they recommend...for best results soak overnight and when you pull the tubes out with the handy wire hangers, the carbon just about falls out in a perfectly round sheet. I then simply run a small cloth through the tube, apply some STOS to the threads and the outside diameter of the choke tubes and install. It doesn't get any more simple than that.

15. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

A friend gave my about a pint of his homemade "Ed's Red" (I'm sure the recipe can be found on this site) and to my surprise, it works great. I leave the tubes in it overnight and swab them with a brush in the morning, nothing left!

Big Jack

16. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Thanks for all the inputs. As I was reading them I had a thought that why wouldn't hand cleaner without pumice work? It will remove pine tar, bugs, oil, grease and many other things. I will give it a try and see what it does but right now I have to get to work for 5 hours. Shoot well and often. Jackie B.

17. nipper

nipper TS Member

thanks blizzard i appreciate it. do you need an answer on how to clean something else on a simple shotgun part

Bill

18. nipper

nipper TS Member

blizzard,

can you tell me what wad leaves the less build up in my barrel and choke tubes i have around 75000 wads so i hope i have the type you recommend,that way i wont have to buy more.

bill

19. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Just don't use a wad pinhead. That would eliminate the plastic problem.

20. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I don't know about some of the stuff mentioned above but you can black out from acetone in close quarters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best choke tube cleaner

choke cleaner homemade
cleaning plastic residue from choke tubes
home made choke tube cleaner
homemade choke tube cleaner