1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning checkering

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yakimaman, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I picked up a used XT today and the checkering on the pistol grip needs to be cleaned - it's not damaged but shows accumulation of dirt and oil from hands. Need some advice on how to clean without doing any damage to the stock.

Rich

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

*EYE* like a shot of Dawn dish soap in a shot-glass of water, and a toothbrush, dry good and oil, but MOST recoil in horror at wetting a stock.

An old soft toothbrush and some kind of kid's cheap, non-abrasive toothpaste.

Take your time and wipe often. When it's clean (it won't take long), wet the toothbrush and get all the remaining paste out. Let dry, and brush a 50:50 cut of some furniture oil or tung oil-based stock finish in the checkering.

Bob

3. Champion II

Champion II Active Member

Per MIA green windex and toothbrush.....it works really well!!

4. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Clenzoil, a child's soft bristle toothbrush, and a toothpick.

5. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

MIA's trick works. I like Murphy's oil soap as well. Both with soft toothbrush, rinse with water and blow/towel dry. Have used both and just depends on which one I have on handy.

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

This TMX was full of oil and grime in the checkering. Took about 5 minutes with the Windex deal..
    mia_2008_0303145.jpg

Spray on, let sit for 30 sec, scrub both checkering directions with a soft tooth brush, rinse with tap water, blot dry. Not clean enough? Repeat and it will be near perfect. But often I just do once as then the stock has a touch of "patina". the TMX above got two shots.

My Windex preference is the "vinegar" type. The blue stuff has a wax (albeit thin). But ti works about as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.