1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cleaning checkering on stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dkarre, Mar 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkarre

dkarre TS Member

just curious how you guys keep the checkering clean on fore-arm and stocks, i got a beretta that needs cleaned up and dont know what to use or how to do it

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

You know, this'll cost ya...

One of my closely guarded secrets is how I rejuvenate guns. Adn you have asked for one of those secrets. Time to let it be free...

Get a SOFT old tooth brush and a bottle of Windex. Get over the sink and spray the checkering and let it soak for about 30 seconds. Then brush the Windex/checkering withe the tooth brush in both directions of the score lines. Keep the bristles in the slots. You will see the grime loosen up. Adn then take your spray nozzle and rinse the grime away, being careful to not get water on the metal joints. Blot it dry. OK, often one shot will be enough. But sometimes yo need a second jolt of Windex and lite scrub.

Let the stock dry for 30 minutes and you are good to go. here is one I did recently.
    [​IMG]

Green Windex is best because it is vinegar based. Blue Windex is ok but has a wax. But either works.

Did you read or see where the president of the Windex company (SC Johnson) has to defend himself as he is accused of overt fondling of his 15 year old stepdaughter? Hmmm perhaps too much facebook in her life.

3. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

<i>"Did you read or see where the president of the Windex company (SC Johnson) has to defend himself as he is accused of overt fondling of his 15 year old stepdaughter? Hmmm perhaps too much facebook in her life."</I>

As my kids would say..."Radom"

Bryan

4. JACK

Bryan, I give... What is "radom"? Huh?

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

He meant "Random". I speak teen pretty well, since I have one.

6. JACK

Ah... yes... Random facebook. I bet dollars to donuts that her private story is on the net. And as you know nothing personal or bad ever leaves cyberspace. It lives on regardless of how to try and delete it.

7. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Oops, my finger are too big for the keyboard. Yes, Random.

Actually Jack I was referring to the comment about the SC Johnson President.

8. JACK

I thought that. But this thing smells. I'll watch for result.

9. UncleWray

UncleWray TS Member

Try gunk removal first, of course.

I like older guns, so the checkering is often worn flat vs. filled up with gunk. I use a high quality single line cutter and carefully go over the checkering to clean it out and sharpen it up. Then put a small amount of thinned oil finish on with a toothbrush.

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Whiting. Also removes soaked in oil/grease. Brownells.

11. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Barry

I am looking for a good cleaner for oil-soaked stocks and forends.

How does "whiting" work, and how is it applied?

Thanks

Danny

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

There was a very good discussion on "whiting" here on TS.com. That's where I learned about it. If not, go to Brownell's on line catalog and there is a good description there.

If you can't find it, let me know I'll try to find it.

13. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

For cleaning wood I've always used Murphy's Oil Soap. This stuff has been around for 100 years, and is specifically made to clean wood.

I never thought of using Windex on wood. I'll have to try that.

14. JACK

Ras. Windex cuts oil quickly. I use it around the stove. Most grime in checkering is oil based. Some guys oil their stocks. Windex works in the checkering but does not penetrate the finish when oil is leached into the wood near the metal joints. Whiting will not work on those areas until you strip the finish off. Then it will suck out the oil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cleanin old wax out of checkering