1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning Checkering - How ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bullet Thrower, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bullet Thrower

Bullet Thrower Member

Cannot relocate it but, I saw a post somewhere on the internet that showed photos of a paste application type product and process used to clean checkering.
    Seems I recall, you applied it, it dried, you removed it. It was mess but the end result was like new.

If anyone knows of a method to clean checkering, or can provide a link to something please post up.

Thanks

2. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I use Murphy's Oil Soap and a toothbrush, and have good results that way. I'm just doing normal/regular cleaning, not trying to clean something up that been sitting uncleaned for years.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Bullet Thrower,

I don't remember who it was that posted it, but it was called "Whiting". The compound that was used is available from Brownells.

I found the thread. The link is above.

ss

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

If the checkering has no finish in the grooves, after it's been cleaned tape it off and apply a few light coats of automotive clear coat available at auto parts stores, sold by Dupli-color. It seals the wood, has a low sheen on wood and makes future cleaning easier.

MK

5. RSVP410

RSVP410 Member

The whiting compound is mixed to a paste consistency with acetone or other similar solvent and is used to extract soaked in oils from the wood.

When using paint stripper on a stocks, I have found that the cheap battery powered tooth brushes do a great job of cleaning the checkering without risk of damage.

Scott

6. Bullet Thrower

Bullet Thrower Member

Short Shucker - Thank you for the link .. That's the one !

Seems like a bit of a process .. but the result is what I am after.

I may try the Murphy oil soap 1st. I like Clean !

Thanks Everybody !

7. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Simple Green is magical for cleaning checkering on a gun. Use it with a toothbrush.

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Clenzoil will get out all the gun and condition the wood at the same time, assuming it is not a poly finish. Really good stuff, and cannot harm anything else on the shotgun, the table, or you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.