1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning Carbon from Porting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Suncutter, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suncutter

Suncutter TS Member

Yes you can use it to clean it out get some pipe cleaners and run them in the holes after you have soaked them in Ed's for awhile. I store my Ed's Red in a glass canning jar with a metal lid even a old sauce jar will work.

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

what's wrong with good old Hoppe's No9?

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Ed's Red will do but mineral spirits will do just as good with no mixing/storing hassles. You can get a quart of this stuff at the hardware store for about $8.

That and a cheapo nylon toothbrush will get that junk out of the barrel ports with minimal effort - 5 minutes max. , no need to poke around each individual port. Take care not to get the solvent on your finished wood pieces.

4. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

anyone fooling around with solvents that harm wood finish is asking for trouble......"anything that can happen will happen"

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Acetone eats plastic. HMB

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Soaking and a brush will not get the hardened carbon-like deposits off--at least not in my experience.

I use a drill bit just the right size twisted between my fingers carefully to get the hard stuff out of the ports on my wife's XT combo. Tedious, a PITA, and messy.

It would seem that cleaning the ports more often would reduce, if not entirely prevent build-up of the hard stuff.

I'll also add that I absolutely hate cleaning ports. Unfortunately (for me) my wife hates cleaning guns beyond an occasional bore snake and a squirt or three of Rem Oil.

It would seem that any missy who likes to shoot, but hates cleaning guns would invest in a gun that has fewer orifices.

Thankfully she's much more diligent with her personal hygiene!

Guy Babin

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Joe, you really don't even need to soak the area. I just give the ports a pass or two with the mineral spirits on the brush then let that work while I bronze brush the inside of the bore also with mineral spirits. This stuff is not as volatile as acetone so it will stay on the surface for quite some time. Soft brush once more outside the ports and wipe down. That gets them clean enough for me but if your not satisifed at that point repeat once more.

One thing to remember about a solvent like this is that there won't be any protective oil on the metal surface when you are finished so you might want to wipe everything down with an oiled cloth before you put it away.

9. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Store Ed's Red in either a glass or metal container. Acetone can eventually weaken or eat through many plastic containers. Better safe than messy.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Why bother to clean the ports? Clean the barrel and rib, if you keep a nice coating of rem oil on the barrel and rib the carbon is easy to clean off.

11. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I use a jewlers drill bit with hand tool. Works great and quickly.

12. dhip

dhip Active Member

I use remington bore cleaner for my ports.Comes in a nice little bottle,tip fits the holes ,drop a bit in each port,then spread some in chamber.Position gun so it drains down while I get the Hoppes 9 out.put a patch on,run it down and back barrel.then use a swab down .Then I run a snake down.Then I spray rem oil in each port,and in chamber ,again position gun so oil can start running down barrel.Put first snake away.Get second snake out,run it down barrel.Then,one more time rem oil in ports,then Gunzilla around chamber,position gun so it runs down barrel again.Put second snake away,run third snake down barrel.Spray gun with rem oil,then rub down with rag.

Works for me,no build up and barrel clean.

Doug H.

13. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I dipped a pipe cleaner in acetone and after about two swipes the port was clean. No soaking, scrubbing or anything else required. HJH

14. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Why bother to clean the ports? Won't the next shot blow most anything out? Keep the bore clean and let the ports take care of themselves.

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Bob K ... why do you want to ruin the fun the anal nit pickers seem to be having?

These are the same people who insist on washing their hulls prior to reloading them!

16. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I should remain silent... but. I bought my old Perazzi used. I cannot even begin to explain the amount of gunk I cleaned out of that gun, including a couple of porting holes that were caked shut with carbon. Call me what you want, but a tool that is kept up and well maintained always seems to last forever. Just seems to me its like buying a car and never changing the oil. Clean the gun, give it a swab of oil and shoot the heck outta it.

HJH

17. dhip

dhip Active Member

I do NOT wash my hulls

Doug H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.