1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning Browning BPS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ky4some, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ky4some

ky4some Member

Just got an older Browning BPS in a trade. Found a manual on line and it states the recommended disassembly for cleaning is only to remove the barrel. No disassembly of the action recommended. That's a new concept to me. Shouldn't I be cleaning and applying light oil around the bolt?

Mike Kamer

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The reason being its an ENORMOUS pain in the @$$ to get the trigger back in without 5 hands and a special tool.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Is it that much different than an Ithaca Model 37?

I found that to be "not too difficult."

I know there's a trick to it, but I clean mine so seldom, I have to re-learn the trick every time.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The trigger group can be removed, and cleaned and the rest of the internals if you follow this proceedure.

1) Before removing the trigger group, slide the forearm back until the shell lifter is at the bottom of its travel. The is will hold the rods in place and keep them there.

2) Drift the retaing pin out and remove the trigger group.

3) **Optional*** If you are doing an entire dissassembly then slide the forearm forward and remove the bars, bolt and other parts. After cleaning reinstall everything. Put a dab or two of thick grease on the bars (to help hold them in place) and use the shell lifter to retain them (move the forearm back until the lifter is at the bottom of its travel).

4) Reinstall the trigger group and move the forearm forward a little to final seat the trigger housing (this will align the notches in the bars) and reinstall the pin.

I can tear down and clean a bps almost as fast as I can an 870. I generally have the gun upside down in my gun vise while I'm taking it apart and reassembling it. I do this by myself with no special tools or extra hands. It just requires a little thought that's all.

ss

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Check out the video. There are a few of them on You-Tube besides this one.

Wayne

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PH7AsB48SBI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. ky4some

ky4some Member

Thanks for the input.

Mike

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Mike:

The disassembly/reassembly of a BPS is pretty straight forward except for the pain in @ss part skeet_man mentioned. The PIA involves two parts called CARTRIDGE STOPS. More specifically its keeping the CARTRIDGE STOPS in place while installing the trigger assembly. Short shucker addresses this process in step three of his post.

The guy in the YouTube vid explains it between 4:30 and 5:20 in the run time. Unfortunately, the bottom of his BPS receiver goes off screen at about 5:00 so viewers don’t see exactly how he does it.

I always end up cutting a short piece of wooden dowel rod (about an inch long) to act as a temporary spacer. I put the CARTRIDGE STOPS in place and stick the dowel between them. The dowel forces the CARTRIDGE STOPS in place temporarily while I slip the trigger assembly back into the receiver.

When the trigger assembly is partially inserted, it will hold the CARTRIDGE STOPS in place. At that point I pull the dowel out and finish installing the trigger assembly.

sissy

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Nice video - it never seems to go that well for me. The M37 tear down/reassmbly is a cake walk compared to the BPS.

Good tip on the cartridge stops Sissy - I'll try that next time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bps cleanong

browning bps cleaning

does a browning bps need completely disassembled to clean