1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cleaning breech face

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sean justice, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

shooting my k-80 with my buddys drop in briley 28 gauge tubes, shot his reloads, dont know what powder, it burnt on to the face of my action , cant get it cleaned off to save my a$$, like i said its burnt, any suggestions, i clean my guns after every outing [habit]. havent used any abrasive, i usually use wd-40 to clean my barrels, since its done after every shoot, certain chemicals scare me to b used around my guns [to harsh].

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Real fine steel wool works the best. I use it along with a liquid cleaner like slick2000 but it will work dry also

3. shark1

shark1 Member

Carb or brake cleaner. Spray on cloth first then put on dirty area. Reduces the risk of coming in comtact with wood. Its cheap and it works. I do it on Krieghoff, Perazzi, Grulla, ect.
    Mike Sharkey, DC

4. RWS52

RWS52 TS Member

Let me get this straight, K80 owner is afraid of being around chemicals that are too harsh, yet sprays WD-40 on his beloved treasure? Like the others said, brak-kleen, gun scrubber, etc and 4/0 steel wool. BTW, pitch the WD-40 and buy some decent gun oil. You may keep the WD if you need to lubricate something delicate like anchor chain or use it for it's original intent, water displacement, hence the WD part. This has been discussed many times before here, doesn't anyone read these things?

5. winchesterAA

winchesterAA Member

I use Flitz polish on my breech face, It cleans it like new then i apply a light coat of Break free CLP. Nothing sticks after that it's a simple wpie of a cloth clean Richie

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Carb cleaner with a mild abrasive pad should do it. Carb cleaner is inexpensive, but it is less expensive if you buy it in a gallon can labeled acetone in the paint department than if you buy it in a spray can labeled carb cleaner in the auto parts section. Acetone is most expensive if you buy it in the ladies make-up section under the label "finger polish remover". But, no matter what the label is, acetone works well.

Pat Ireland

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You do not need to use abrasives on your K-80. Use a tooth brush and some Hoppe's #9 bore cleaner. HMB

8. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

wow, were not doing the wd-40 thing again, check brownells tesr, i have alot of it and just spray the bbls, is it harsh u think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.