1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cleaning breech face and ejectors?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Anyone know of a good way to keep the breech face and ejector faces clean and unstained? I've tried brass brushes, steel brushes, steel wool, scotchbrite, and ultra fine sandpaper, and nothing really worked to my satisfaction. I don't want it very shiny, so metal polish is out unless theres something I can use that'll give it a matte finish (i want it clean and unstained, but not a mirror like finish). When i have the gun reblued, which will be a while, i'll have the ejectors and beech face left blued...

2. winchesterAA

winchesterAA Member

Ive used Flitz a metal polish that is not abrasive, this stuff is amazing. Then after its clean i put a small amount of Breakfree CLP on the metal and it keeps it clean try it, Richie

3. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Mineral spirits. Roy

4. wopahoe

wopahoe Member

try brake cleaner(not brake fluid), don't get it on the wood. It really cleans black powder guns. It's worth a try.

5. Miles

Miles Member

skeet, i really don't know the answer so this is just my thinking/guessing.

i guess if you are staining the cause is probably due to residue adhering to the surfaces. if it were me this is what i would try.

1. remove all staining [and if you need a steel brush use it very, very softly].
    2. to a damp cloth i would add some Simple Green [i find it exceptional] and i find it actually "seems to bond" with metal surfaces [nobody will agree with me, and i'm probably wrong, but like i said i find it exceptional].
    3. i would like AA said, use Flitz, however i am sure it does have some abrasive though very tiny particles or in my opinion it would not polish.
    4. then i would use a fine india stone.

i do not think the above will end this, but i think it should reduce it. and a bluing in the future may be of value too.

if you get the chance to try, please let me know the result. i hope it will work for you but i may be off base. and actually, being shiny now [until later blued] is the price you will have to pay, sorry.

6. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Keep in mind that whatever you slather on the breech face, some of it will end up creeping into the firing pin(s) and eventually into the action. That taught me not to use anything abrasive or anything that removes oil to clean the breech face.

Lister

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

The dark stain is carbon that has been pushed into the metal surface under quite a bit of pressure and heat.

A carbon solvent (mineral spirits, acetone) and a very fine steel wool will work as well as anything. Steel wool should not get into the action. The round dark circle around the firing pin hole is due to gas passing around the primer. Using the proper primer will help minimize this.

You can buy acetone in the auto parts section as break cleaner for $30 a gallon or buy it in the paint section as acetone for $10 a gallon. Or, you can buy acetone in the cosmetics section as finger nail polish remover for $300 a gallon. Its your choice.

Pat Ireland

8. Miles

Miles Member

hi Pat,

you're a name from my past. how have you been? i hope life is treating you well. i have been away from ts so long now, but i still remember you! best wishes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.