1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning barrel ports

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mike G, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike G

Mike G Member

If I had to do all over again I would never have ported my gun - but since unporting it is not an option what works for getting the crude out of barrel ports? These are the Pro-Port type and seems when I finally think I have my barrels clean I get more gunk out of the ports. Looking for suggestions of what's worked for others. Mike

2. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Why bother cleaning them? I gave up on cleaning out ports...too much trouble and, for what? Patterns and other barrel performance factors are not controlled by dirt in the ports. If my XT had not come with ports, I would never get them on any barrel. Best Regards, Ed

3. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Pipe cleaners work. Not sure they still make them.

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Don't bother. My old Perazzi had a lot of small holes for ports. They didn't do much anyway, so I finally let them fill up. The gun shot a little quitter and the rib stayed cleaner. They were the only changes I noticed.

5. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I just spray some tetra gun action blaster on them and then run a bore snake through the barrel, since it has a very powerful spray it seems to work pretty good. Although, like the others said, it really isn't that important to clean them, it just bothers me when they are dirty.

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Dewey makes a neat little brush for the purpose, works great on "Pro-Ports"

John C. Saubak

7. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I've never seen barrel ports that would completely fill up with shooting residue. There may be some, but I haven't seen them.

Why bother to clean them in the first place? Just shoot the gun and the ports will take care of themselves.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

With the pressure blowing gases out of the ports, I like Easystreet, have a problem conceiving who the posts can get blocked enough to prevent their proper functioning.

All I do is turn the bore brush a little in the port area as I am scrubbing my barrels. I do not see any build up in the ports. I do have the larger Pro Ports.

Pat Ireland

9. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

I have 2 ported guns, each purchased used. Given the choice, I would not port barrels strictly because the holes are a pain to clean. I suppose allowing them to fill up is an option, but I can't abide the idea that my gun isn't truly clean, so I do clean out the holes.

I have a product called Dunk-Kit, made by Cylinder & Slide, for cleaning pistols. It's a liquid and comes in a bucket. To clean the ported holes in my barrels, I simply immerse the front part of the barrel in the Dunk-Kit for 15-20 minutes. This softens the junk in the holes and around the rib. For the holes on the 90T, which are round, I use a small drill bit to clear the gunk. For the holes on the Silver Seitz, which are tear drop shaped, I use a pipe cleaner to ream them clean. To scrape the softened junk off the rib, I use a plastic cleaning tool made by Gunslick. I suppose I could use a toothpick or something else, as long as it won't scratch the barrel.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

10. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

One of the vendors at a shoot had small brushes like I use to clean my pistol barrels. They were called porting brushes and I think I gave $2 for one. Since I have the factory round ports, it is easy to run the brush through BEFORE I clean the bore. It cleans the holes but leaves some GUNK in the bore that your bore brush will clean out. I, like the other posters, have not noticed a big performance issue when they have partially closed with GUNK. Your porting holes may vary. Omaha

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Omaha- You stated--"Your porting holes may vary"

Were you referring to my personal porting holes? If so, how would you know?-- On second thought, please do not answer that question.

I also do not wish to discuss how I clean my holes.

Pat Ireland

12. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I'm curious about those who have said that their barrel ports get completely clogged up with plastic or carbon (or whatever). Try this little experiment. Wrap some masking tape snugly around the barrel(s) so that the ports are covered. Then shoot a standard 25 round of trap with your normal loads and tell us what the masking tape looks like. If it is still firmly in place with no holes in it, then it's obvious that the ports do NOTHING at all. I don't think you will find the tape intact, but I'll wait to hear what you find.

13. roper

roper TS Member

POWER WASHER works great!!!

J/K

ROPA

14. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

One idea might be to take your barrels to your next dentist appointment and have him/her use a high pressure blast from their teeth cleaning equipment. Or, what about contacting the companies that specialize in creating these little porting holes and ask them how to clean them? Many of the suggestions (not mine) offered here should work, but seem to be time-consuming to punch out each of the little holes. Best Regards, Ed

15. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Pat, I was in a shop the other day that had a grinder attached to the wall of the bathroom where the toilet paper should have been. One side had a wire brush, the other side a buffer wheel. A sign above it said: " I feel much better since I quit using toilet paper. Cleans right down to the shine." I was afraid to ask!!!!! ROFL Omaha

16. sunbroker

sunbroker TS Member

I have had some success breaking a Q tip in half and punching out the crud...

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Omaha - What did the wall behind the grinder look like? I think I will continue to clean my ports with a brass brush and my hand. Have you noticed that different loads passing through your ports require a different cleaning method?

Pat Ireland

18. rw993

rw993 Active Member

I find the larger porting (angle, pro, ect) don't clog at all. The smaller like Sietz (sp) clog up shooting trap loads. I found that when I shot pidgeon loads through the Sietz barrell that the ports were clean!! More pressure I guess or different powder? RW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.