1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning AA Hulls?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WNCRob, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

After a few reloads, I find that AA hulls are "gunky". They make it quite difficult to run them through my PW press, really increases required effort. Don't have any problems with Rem hulls. Kinda silly to have to clean them manually. Any suggestions to improve this condition?

Thanks!

WNCRob

2. Mohave60

Mohave60 Member

Toss them in the washing machine with a towel and detergent. Come out Clean and nice to handle. Let dry a few days then load away. Gary

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get a Mec press. Never cleaned a hull, Mec press took them all and never complained. HMB

4. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

Ditto the washing machine. Put them in a mesh bag on gentle cycle, they come out as good as new.

5. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Are you for real with the washing machine? Glad I own MEC Machines. Thought there would be an advantage to them one day. I do 50% of my shooting with Red Dot Powder. Give me the heads up to what is dirtier than that. I know they made it cleaner back some years ago.

Do you knock the primers out for better drainage?

6. Franktri

Franktri Member

That is one of the reasons why I switched to Gun Club and STS Premier. They load better. For some reason, the crimp did not finish well and with GC and STS, they look like new with little residue.

7. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

I think TinMan has a workable solution. Washing machine is NOT an option. But, why do the AA hulls attract the grunge and the Rems do not? I do use Red Dot. Think I'll change to Clays/Clay Dot and see if I notice any difference.

Thanks.

WNCRob

8. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I have often wondered this myself and I can see how the washing machine might work. My next question is for those who have strongly oppose this idea, but have not said why. Why?

Bryan

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have put them in the washer and it works. Bo put a towel in for padding. I will then put them in a tray, box or what ever at hand unside down to drain and in a day or two there are ready for reloading.

10. Indyrun

Indyrun Member

It's not a 'gunky' film on the new Red AA hulls that makes them that way, it is the plastic deteriorating/burning particularly at the folds. It has nothing to do with powder choice. The only reason they are harder to load in a PW is because the hull remains in a sizing die throughout the cycle and the 'crispy' plastic doesn't fold as easy, something you wouldn't notice on a MEC as they have only one sizing station. The old one-piece AAs of any color didn't do this. Of all the new AA compounds the gray material used for the Super Handicap loads does this the least, if at all. I've never tried washing them, but I would imagine the water, heat, and detergent from the process may loosen and eliminate the burnt material.

11. fishguts

fishguts Member

HAHAHAHAHA.........washing hulls, that is so funny.

Wayne

12. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

calkidd:

You asked, "... for those who... strongly oppose this idea, but have not said why. Why?"

Ok, here's why...

Lead shot consists of lead, antimony, and arsenic. Chemically speaking, they are toxic heavy metals which will accumulate in the human body. Unfortunately, the human body doesn't metabolize or otherwise excrete these toxins.

On a related note, lead styphnate is what makes a primer go 'bang'. Here's a Wikipedia clip about lead styphnate.

"Lead styphnate (lead 2,4,6-trinitroresorcinate, C6HN3O8Pb ), whose name is derived from styphnic acid, is a toxic explosive used as a component in primer and detonator mixtures for less sensitive secondary explosives."

Notice the repeated use of the term "toxic". Every fired hull has some amount of toxic residues. Why anyone would put that sh!t in their washing machine is something you'll have to ask them.

sissy

PS: Ignoring the toxicity issue, putting nasty junk in my old lady's washer would be enough to make HER go 'bang'.

13. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Why would a shotshell reloader be difficult to operate with just dirty shells? Doesn't sound right. My 20 year old 9000 doesn't care.

14. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Dave P good question. My Dillon doesn't care either. Dave T.

15. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

No need to deprime first. Use a mesh bag. Dump the shells in the bag and tie it closed. Put bag in Maytag with soap. Add the rest of your clothing. When done, put bag, still with shells, and the clothing in the dryer. That is it.

Free. No labor on your part.

Shells come out dry, clean, inside and out, slightly warm. Brass or steel base will be bright polished.

But washing is not for everybody.

If you do not know how to use a washer/dryer, this is not for you.

If you like to handle dirty shells, this is not for you.

If you must negotiate or beg for permission to use your washer/dryer, this is not for you.

The only thing you need is a mesh bag. If you can't find or buy one, this is not for you.

If you know your reloader works better with dirty shells, this is not for you.

If you know your gun works better with dirty shells, this is not for you.

16. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

Gent's:

For what it's worth I have a friend who wash's his hull in an OLD washing machine he picked up from Lowes they were glad to get rid of the thing...FREE.
    The Hull dry in the Sun for a week or when ever my friend can get too them.

Same for an OLD electric oven/stove he uses to "COOK" Powder Coated part's.

17. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

Gent's:

For what it's worth I have a friend who wash's his hull in an OLD washing machine he picked up from Lowes they were glad to get rid of the thing...FREE.

18. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

Gent's:

19. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

Gent's:

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Would soaking the hulls in acetone clean them up?

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dry shotgun hulls oven