1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning a Silver Sietz

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shearer60, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shearer60

Shearer60 Member

In reading different owners manuals on line,Sietz says to not spray oil anywhere on the gun. Wipe it with a rag and good oil.No grease on latch ect. How do you Sietz owners clean and lube your guns?

What do you folks think of the tornado bore brush?

Just wondering.

Con

2. C-Money

C-Money Member

That Tornado sure removes the plastic. Any chance they hurt the bore?

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I don't see any advantage to a tornado brush; in fact, I figure that the sharp ends of the bristles of a traditional bronze brush should do a better job of scouring plastic out of a bore than the smooth coils of a tornado brush. At least I've never had any complaints about how well the traditional brushes did their job. I do have a bronze tornado brush I wrap patches around to mop wet solvent out of my bore but that's all I use it for.

Keller

4. C-Money

C-Money Member

I cleaned my trap gun with a traditional brush, and a bore snake. At the request of my father, I tried his Tornado, and was amazed at the amount of plastic that was removed.

5. smoke-um

smoke-um Active Member

Tom Seitz told me years ago that if i put a steel brush of any kind in one of his barrels he would never speak to me again. Just food for thought !!!!!!

6. 1166

1166 Member

I spray the barrel with G96 and let it for 5 to 20 minutes then swab it out with Cotten over a brass brush several times until the new piece comes out clean . A bigger problem for me is opening it up with a live shell in it while holding the release trigger. Love the gun but ever time you open them up they eject the shell, drives me crazy trying to catch that loaded shell usually winds up on the ground. Need three hands, any one have a cure for this problem? Thanks in advance.

7. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I am the 5th owner of Silver Seitz # 007, built originally in the early '90s. The prior owners took good care of this gun, as have I. Clean the barrel as you would on any shotgun - bristle bore brush, solvent, patches etc. I have been known to use an electric drill with a cleaning rod and brush to scrub the inside of the barrel. Occasionally I will also remove the ejector and spring to clean them.

I do not remove the sideplate to clean or oil the trigger mechanism. Richie may do that each year at the Grand. I do wipe the receiver area clean with a little solvent and then wipe it dry. I also wipe clean the exposed metal of the forend iron where grease can accumulate.

When I reassemble the gun, I wipe it down lightly with Clenzoil, stem to stern.
    This gun looks almost new despite being almost 20 years old.

Gene in Illinois

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Take the Bbl off and remove the ejector pin from the Bbl and catch the spring
    re-assemble and it will just lift the shell, it won't eject it.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

Remove the ejector finger and you won't have to catch the shell.

Ron Burdick

10. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

Use either slp2000 or EEzox to clean the barrel, inside and out. They both have a synthetic oil base that bonds with the metal. The Eezox is a more effective cleaner than the Slp2000, since it has a breakcleaner additive in it, but both are the best. The result? One or two passes with a patch over a brush will remove the plastic in one black sheet on the patch. I have tried Remoil,Kroil,Hoppes,Butch's and many other products over the years. None can touch these products for cleaning and protection from corrosion for your bore and metal surfaces. Try it and tell me I am wrong! Pete

11. illtrap1

illtrap1 Member

Clean mine with Wads Out cant buy it anymore was a dealer one time they cleaned my gun at the grand in Ohio,they also made a red grease I tryed to get in touch with them,I only have 10 bottles left,best product I ever used,I got in trouble with Richie for spraying rem oil in block and cleaning it the trigger changed,wont spray anything again he said leave it dry,never had any trouble with it untill I cleaned it and let rem oil run up in reciever by locking lug,tough guns,maintance free,you dont have to get them serviced every year unless I guess you shoot alot 30,000 or 40,000 shells

12. FLIP

FLIP Member

illtrap1 do you want to sell one of the bottles of wads out? i miss that smell

13. thunder

thunder Active Member

RGS to clean the bore. Take off side plate and clean out old grease and replace with grease from Seitz. Use triflow outside gun. Also take out ejector and clean. Make sure no oil around locking lug and done.

14. pdq

pdq Member

I only shoot 5 - 10,000 shells a year. I use a bore snake about once every 2 - 3 months which keeps the barrel shiny bright with no signs of streaking or plastic residue, and then give the barrel a cleaning with a soak of solvent once a year. That cleaning doesn't produce much residue, as the barrel is not very dirty to begin with.

However, if I shoot the gun on a weekend, I completely break the gun down, clean all surfaces with a cloth and then apply a very, very thin film (per Rich's instruction) of grease I got from Rich to any surfaces that rub. I then clean the exterior of all metal surfaces with a Remoil wipe cloth. Rich was very empthatic about not using too much grease that could somehow work its way back into the trigger assembly and mess things up. These guns are so well made that excessive grease isn't needed. Clean and lube them after shooting and they will last many lifetimes.

Somewhat along the same lines as Ithaca Knicks made in the '20s and '30s. :)))

Pete

Silver Seitz #808

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

silver seitz locking lug