1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning A Model 12 (Take It Apart??)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DoubleAuto, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

In my 45+ years of shotgunning I have never kept a Model 12 long enough to shoot it. I just bought a Model 12 16 gauge that I plan on doing quite a bit of dove hunting with next fall. I have always heard that you should not take a Model 12 apart (taking the barrel/barrel assembly apart from the receiver) very often or it will cause excessive wear/damage to the parts where the gun goes together. I clean my shotguns from the breech end when cleaning the barrels. If the possible damage issue is real, do you clean your Model 12 barrel(s) from the muzzle or take the gun down (into two parts) every time you clean the barrels?

Any help is appreciated.

DoubleAuto

2. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

I think taking the gun down is the best way to keep unwanted particles out of the receiver. You will not take it down enough to cause any excessive wear to any parts. Always be sure the forend slide is all the way forward and clear of the receiver before twisting the barrel back on.

3. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

To accommodate thread wear, there is a lock screw that holds an adjustment ring that can be rotated slightly to let the barrel engage another tooth of the threads. If you don't know about model 12's, you could let someone who does look at your gun and see if any of the adjustment has been taken up on it or not ---- they are good for a LOT of adjustment.

Since you state you have been shotgunning for 45 years; unless your gun has had all the adjustment taken out of it, you won't live long enough to bag enough doves to wear out the threads by taking the gun down whenever you deem it necessary for cleaning.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Wearing your gun out by taking it apart should be the least of your worries. HMB

5. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I know Stu Wright is the M12 guru but what the heck problem can be had by taking them apart? It seems that you make a bigger mess in the reciever by leaving them together. Its so easy to clean if you take the barrel off and then you just twist it back on!

Steve

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Seems to me that it would be both easier and better to take out the trigger assembly and bolt. This would leave the receiver empty for a good cleaning. Taking out the bolt is simple once you learn how.

Pat Ireland

7. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

Buy a Remington 870 & avoid all these problems. Colonel

8. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Stu Wright's advice sounds like the gunsmith's full employment act.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I clean mine once a year need it or not when I am shooting it ... When I do, I completely disassemble it and clean it ... When I am shooting the gun all the time I just wipe it down with Clenzoil and run a bore snake down the barrel to get out the dust ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

There are some people that should not take a gun (or anything else) apart. Back when I was doing some gunsmithing over 40 years ago, the first Remington model 66 I ever saw was brought in buy a guy who had it in a large plastic bag. Every piece that could be disassembled was disassembled. He didn't have a clue of how to get it put back together. I did advise that person not to take his model 66 apart again.

Taking the barrel assembly off a Model 12 to clean the bore is not rocket science. Going past that point may be a different story based on the individual involved.

11. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Double Auto, it is good to hear from you! Why would you shoot a M12 when you have Browning Double Autos available?
    Doug Allison

12. Almcvey

Almcvey Member

I and many other people have shot thousands of rounds thur a model 12. If you take the barrel off to clean, at some point in time you will let the forearm slide down and the rod that moves the bolt will end up scratching the reciever. Take alook at model 12's at gun shows and you will see this. Not any reason to take the barrel off. If your a cleaning nut, pull the bolt and trigger. I do mine about 1x a year or about 5,000 rounds. They don't need lots of cleaning..

13. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Doug:

Double Autos are still my favorite upland hunting and informal clays guns. I also like 16 gauges. I like to keep my barrels (and chambers) clean particularly on the older guns. I just don't like cleaning shotguns from the muzzle end. Glad we don't have to do that with Double Autos.

DoubleAuto

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

DoubleAuto- You could put a rag in the receiver before you use the brass brush in the barrel. This would catch a lot of the splatter and would be easier than taking off the barrel.

Pat Ireland

15. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

And how do you get the rag out w/o some of the "splatter" splattering into the action?

16. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

DoubleAuto, I shot a Model 12 on trap for over 20 years.

Now, figure taking it down and putting it back together at least twice a week for that period of time, and I don't ever remember having to adjust any rings or tighten anything.

I don't think you are ever going to hurt it this way.

Good luck and enjoy your Model 12. They were classics.

I still have two of them.

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to clean a model 12

how to clean bolt in model 12
how to take a model 12 apart
model 12 cleaning
take apart and clean remington model 12