1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning a gun after shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kgun_shooter, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Here is a topic for discussion. How often do you clean your gun and do you find you pattern lacking if you shoot a lot before cleaning. I often wondered how often the big dogs clean their guns since it seems like they after all the shooting they do they wouldn't have much time to clean it.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I'm sure even the "big dogs" can find 15-30 minutes a night to clean their guns. It all depends if you're going to just field strip the gun or do a detailed surgical cleaning. A quick wipe down of the outside of your gun with a silicone rag and a run thru the bore with a bore snake and perhaps a lubed patch is more than enough on a day to day basis.

Degreasing and relubing the action once or twice a year seems more than adequate. Keeping the bearing and hinged points clean and lubed will provide many years of faithful service. Less is more in this case. YMMV.

Eric

3. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Eric,

I wish it only took me 15-30 minutes. It seems like forever to get that plastic out of my single and double barrels.

4. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Cleaning plastic wad buildup from barrels is actually quite easy!

Wet a patch in some "Ed,s Red" (contails acetone, which dissolves the plastic), swab the bore and leave to soak for a few minutes. Swab out, or if the buildup is still stubborn, scrub out with a bronze brisle brush soaked in Ed's Red attached to an electric drill.

The bronze brush cleans out all the plastic that accumulates in the surface pores of the metal, which helps prevent new buildup.

P.S. DON'T GET THE STUFF ON YOUR STOCK, IT WILL EAT THE FINISH!!! Ask me how I know...

Kiv

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

A squirt or spray of WD40 down the bore and #0000 steel wool wrapped on a brass brush or swab attached to a cleaning rod chucked up in an electric drill will make very quick work of removing any bore residue. Follow it up with a light rag or paper towel wrapped around a jag down the barrel and it will shine like a mirror.

Eric

6. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Eric,

The steel wool won't scratch the barrel?

7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Unless it gets wet, this is all I do:

Wipe-off the outside with a rag that has been sprayed with WD-40, then put it in the safe.

* If it is hot or cold weather, I let it come to room temp before wiping and storing.

With my tube-set, I mostly just run a wooly-bugger down the barrel after shooting the 12 gauge. If the tubes don't slide in real easy, I wrap a bit of paper towel around a brush, give it a dab of WD-40 or BreakFree CLP, and swab it out; then wipe off the outside of the tubes with a gun rag.

Sometimes mid-winter cabin fever drives me to do more, but that a personality disorder triggered by the cabin fever.

Automatics get a couple of drops of BreakFree CLP on the gas parts. Sometimes the personality disorder kicks in, and if there are paper towels handy, I may wipe off the old BreakFree CLP before adding new.

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

k-gun,

No the steel wool is softer than the barrel and in most cases the bores are crome lined. I've been doing that way on my 40yo Browning Broadway for 40 years and the barrels are spotless and not a scratch to be seen from chamber to choke.

Eric

9. myevh3

myevh3 TS Member

Maybe overkill but here is what I do after every shoot.

For Browning XT Trap

1. Run bore snake in each barrel
    2. Use solvent to clean around the ejectors and breach of barrels
    3. Use solvent to clean the receiver, around firing pin area.
    4. Make sure the hinge pin is well lubricated with gun grease.
    5. I put a small amount of gun grease anywhere the action rotates against the forarm.
    6. Use light gun oil to lube the ejectors
    7. Wipe down entire gun with silicon or gun oil on a rag.
    8. Also make sure the choke tubes are not loose.
    9. Make sure all hardware is nice and tight.

Every 5000 rounds I clean the firing pins and lube the receiver and trigger internal moving parts.

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I do the same as Mixer with the exception I use a Stainless Steel kitchen pad and cut to size with scissors and wrap around a brass brush in a drill.
    Make sure you wipe all the old grease off the hinge pins each time and replace with new. I do a real through cleaning every other weekend.

11. mlcameron

mlcameron Member

wow! I was under the impression that you took a six pack of beer soaked about a dozen 2X2 rags in rem oil and kept swabin til they came out clean then ran an extra clean oil soaked brush down the barrel. Then you send your buddy out for another six pack and start on cleaning the reciever the same way. When all the rags come up clean wipe down the metal with rem oil ane case the gun. Drink the other six pack and call it a good day. Don't for get to kiss your wife and tell her ya luver before ya start the day over again. :=)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

12 gauge bore snake will the brass scrub scratch the inside barrel

clean gun after shooting

cleaning rifle after shooting

how often do you clean your shotgun

howto clean a trap gun after shooting

shotgun cleaning trap pattern