1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning a barrel with choke tubes.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomc66, Oct 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomc66

tomc66 Member

Do I need to remove the flush choke tubes each time I clean the barrels? If not, how often should I remove the choke tubes for cleaning?

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I clean my barrels with the choke tubes in, to protect the threads, then remove them, wipe off, reoil and reinstall them. I have never had a stuck choke tube. Mark

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I do 'cause it's not a big deal to do it and I want to get any accumulated crud out from between the tube and the barrel.

If your tubes don't make a perfect seal where they mate to the barrel, soot can get in there. Cleaning solvent can get in between the tube and the barrel as well and wash out anything you put on the threads to prevent the chokes from getting stuck.

Like O'gunner, I clean the barrels with the tubes in and then pull'em out to clean the treads and the tubes.

Keller

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I take the tubes out two - three times a year. I clean the barrel and tube first, pull the tube and scrub the threads with a toothbrush, (barrel and tube threads) dry everything, reapply anti-seize.

Wayne

5. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

About the same as above. I always run a bore snake through after shooting with the chokes in. Thorough cleaning of tubes and threads a couple of times a year. Jack

6. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

You put the cleaning thing in.
    You pull the cleaning thing out.
    Put more Hoppes on a patch
    and you scrub it all about

You do the cleany thingy
    make it clean without a doubt
    and that's what its all about

Sorry I'm off my meds again!

7. Steve Bills

Steve Bills Member

NJCOP: I really enjoyed your cleaning post,also my wife who shots trap w/me said you would most likely be " A hoot to shoot in a squad with" Throw the meds. away....Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.