1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CLEANING 391 BERETTA ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bigd62, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigd62

bigd62 Member

OK ALL YOU 391FANS/SHOOTERS/EXPERTS. JUST BOUGHT A NICE VERY CLEAN USED BERETTA 391 TEKNYS GOLD TRAP, WAS READING THE MANUAL and was hoping its easier to clean than it sounds. I KEEP MY GUNS PRETTY CLEAN AND HAVE NEVER HAD ANY TROUBLE. HAD MOSTLY OVER/UNDERS BEFORE AND AN OCCASIONAL 1100. THIS IS FIRST 391. I KNOW YOU NEED TO KEEP AUTOS CLEAN JUST WANT TO HEAR FIRSTHAND FROM SOME OF YOU THAT SHOOT THEM. ANY ADVICE/HELP WILL GREATLY BE APPRECIATED. DAN

2. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

I love my Teknys, but I always allow at least 30 to 40 minutes minimum to clean it. Some times the thing goes together like butter, and other times it fights me the whole way. I saw a friend clean his Benelli the other day and I was jealous. That thing comes apart and goes together without a hitch in about 10 minutes cleaned. Too bad it shoots like a BB gun.

3. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I was somewhat hesitant about disassembling my 391, until I read this great thread on shotgunworld.com

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=101242

This gentleman went to great lengths to explain the process, and he even offers a manual for sale to further assist with the gun. If you take your time, and read the thread, you should have no problems.

Good luck, Rodbuster.

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

People are always saying you need to clean your gun, like it's unAmerican not to do so.

THE 391 NEEDS TO BE CLEANED HARDLY EVER!!!

I clean my gun no more than every 2,000 rounds, and even then it doesn't really need it. Anthony Matarese Jr., last years National and US Open Sporting Clays champion, shoots his 391 in competition and admits that he hardly ever cleans it unless he notices that the action is starting to slow down a little.

If you feel some need to clean your gun frequently, just know you're wasting your time. I have had the same 391 for 4 years which I shoot for both trap and sporting clays. The only time I ever have a feeding malfunctions is if I am using very light loads, and if I wanted I could eliminate those by changing the gas valve spring.

As far a Rodbusters reference to the manual for sale, you should definitely buy it. It shows everything you need to know to take apart and fix your 391.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Click on the link. It was made by Tron, TS.com's 391 guru. One of the best threads on this site. Wayne

6. Dickgshot

Yes, and notice his comment: "you're good to go for thousands of rounds."

His cleaning regimen is great if you have a machine shop like he does. I'm an accountant. I have to make do with a stapler, pencil sharpener, and a couple paper clips!.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A second on Tron's slide show on 391 maintenance. Excellent reference material for this chore.

8. Bridger

Bridger Member

Cleaning a 391 is not that difficult. Getting the trigger out the first time on a new gun can sometimes be a struggle but after that its pretty easy. What really helps is to have someone show you how its done. Mine comes apart and goes back together very easily but it took a few times to figure everything out.

9. setter

setter Member

Clickable.

10. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I know I over clean mine but, I don't find it to be a chore. As someone has said that they will go 2000 rounds without cleaning, this I believe will hold true, probably alot more than that.

As far as Seamus book goes it will be the best $18.00 you can spend. Do yourself a favor and buy it, if not only to read if you have prior experience with the 391's. One self repair will save you $18.00 and than some.

The few tools special not so special tools you need to work on it will probably be less than $50.00 assuming you have a few tool already. A good pair of snap-ring pliers w/long reach with straight and 45 deg. tips, O-ring picks, needle nose, 6" adj., 13mm socket, soft face C-clamp, pin punches and a strap wrench (small fixture style), vise grip, soft face plier. You can probably get yourself everything you need at a Home Depot.

Seamus's book goes into alot of detail. If your not mechanically inclined the pictures may be a bit scary especially at the trigger group or the bolt. But, DON'T BE SCARED. It's not necessary to break the whole thing apart to clean it. The trigger can be cleaned without total disection. If you have a broken trigger component or firing pin that needs repair or replacement the pictures are priceless. After the first time you'll be an expert.

I own 1100's and 11-87's also. I have a care package of firing pins and some springs for them. I've started picking up some springs, piston and pins for the 391's but have not had anything break yet. They are not a Remington gas gun. Some say the gas system is overkill on them and they might be right but, I like the product Beretta has going on. Good luck.

11. Dickgshot

What hasn't been mentioned yet is the wet vs. dry debate, which isn't really a debate anymore. It used to be believed that the Beretta autos should be kept mostly free of oil, because oil supposedly picked up dirt and carbon.

Then somebody got the idea that you should do the opposite, and that was to spray almost everything with a light coat of oil, and the oil of choice was Breakfree CLP.

Now, everybody I know uses Breakfree CLP. I spray some on virtually every part of the internal mechanism, including the piston, gas valve, springs, magazine tube, connecting rod, etc.

Where before hard carbon deposits use to form and were hard to remove; now with the film of oil, it is much easier to clean the 391. Also the oil keeps all the parts working smoothly.

12. bigd62

bigd62 Member

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like there are a lot of satisfied 391 owners out there. I hope to be one of them. Is there anything I need to keep an eye on as far as parts wearing etc? thanks Dan

13. Loyac

Loyac Member

Another thumbs up for Tron and Shamus O'Caiside for their expertise with 391's.
    I happened to purchase Shamus' book, and it is great!
    You can contact him at - XXjpcassada@comcast.netXX (remove all X's) John

14. traedawg

traedawg TS Member

I just cleaned mine not a problem. I am 17 and I clean all my guns the 391 is in my opinion not hard at all. Dont be affraid to take it apart just remember where the parts go. Tanner

15. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I 2nd Traedawg!! You have to sit down and take it apart and put it back together like your in the military,then after you have mastered this it's a breeze.As stated above Tron has an excellent cleaning program.It is not like a breakopen gun so just forget about the comparison!

16. John391

John391 TS Member

It is not hard to clean at all. Sometimes to remove the trigger group the first time can be difficult. I only remove my trigger group every 5-7000 rounds. keep the outside of the magazine tube clean and buy Seamus book. I have never dissambeled my end cap but spray clean it every time I shoot. Don't be afraid to work on it and take it apart. Once you learn the gun it is easy to care for and very reliable. I usually have less than 1 jam every 3000-5000 rounds.
    Do replace the main recoil spring in the stock once every 10-15,000 rounds. John

17. S Martin

S Martin TS Member

Buy the manual from Seamus O'Caiside and you won't regret it - XXjpcassada@comcast.netXX (remove all X's). I was in your position a few months ago with my new 391. One manual and 3000 rounds later I'm a 391 cleaning pro. The pictures and descriptions in the manual are excellent. My other tip is to buy a can of Breakfree CLP and spray a little on the parts covered by the forearm every time you clean the gun. The action will cycle much better wet than dry. You'll be a 391 cleaning expert in short order. Steve

18. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I think you will have a spring (hammer, firing pin, recoil, etc.) problem before anything wears out or starts to wear out. Under warranty I wouldn't worry about a piston but, if you have no warranty or after 3 years or so think about getting one. I have a 391 Urika Trap Optima (original piston, no piston problem some pistons were cracking) and a 391 Urika 2 Sporting. I have not had any problems with either but have been slowly just building up a care package. I'm shooting targets with mine that why I'm thinking keep some spare parts and I'm a mechanic so that's the way I think. I have more shells through both of mine that most guys would put through in a lifetime of hunting with a 391, with that I wouldn't worry about much wear going on especially if your 391 is used for hunting. The only part that is showing only the slightest wear for me is the magazine cap rod and not very much at all. No plans on getting it anytime soon. I would say that mine for the most part are operated dry. Maybe only the slightest bit of RemOil or Kroil on them.

19. Dickgshot

There is a tendency for people to stock too many spare parts that they'll never need. I was guilty of that. Here's my list of the few parts that I think you should have on hand.

Most important: (1)connecting rod. This is the part that connects the bolt to the main spring. It has a good chance of breaking one day, because it was designed to do that. (2)firing pin spring. this will break one day.
    (3)recoilspring. I'd buy a couple because you'll change these every 15,000 rounds or so. (4) If you want to spend the $50, get a extra locking block. Mine broke, and I've heard of others. I'd buy that before I'd get an extra piston which cost about the same, and which I've never used. Some people recommend an extra set of hammer braces for the trigger. Mine never broke, but I have an extra set. That's pretty much it. Yoou're looking at under $50. You can order these parts from Cole Gunsmithing or Brownells. Beretta no longer sells replacement parts. And definitely get Seamus O'Casaides manual.

20. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

It looks kind of complicated to me. I like the simplicity of my 930 better. Not as simple as a Benelli, but at 8 pounds and gas operated a much better target gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta 391 forearm disassembly
beretta al391 cleaning
beretta al391 urika manual
cleaning a beretta 391

cleaning beretta 391

cleaning urica 391 beretta
how remove thr trigger from a 391 beretta
urika 391 cleaning